Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PLEASE HELP A GIRL OUT - bike starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 PM
jumccaff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP A GIRL OUT - bike starting issues

Hi guys,

I rode to Texas Rot Rally with my girlfriends (5,000 miles rtn) and on route home started having issues with the bike on 'warm' starts.

Cold cranking is fine, if she sits for 8 hours she fires up without issue, but she doesn't like to stop then start.

I can ride for 2 hours and stop for gas, only for her to complain with a wretched scratching engine sound.

Recently she started smelling like the gas from a Zippo when I'm trying to get her to turn over.

No issues with torque, acceleration or throttle - she rides fine once started.

She has been popping some in the exhausts too, so I'm wondering if this is a fuel/air mixture problem?

Here's a video which illustrates me trying to start her less than 5 minutes after a 45 minute ride:

And here's some background:

-2009 night train (EFI) bought used three years ago, came mapped.
-Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, Screaming Eagle heavy breather and V&H 2-into-2 pipes
-Regular and routine maintenance performed by the book, by me.
-On a trickle charger every night.
-Spark plugs replaced in June before our trip to Texas.
-High octane gas and Amsoil synthetic oils.

Also, ever since I got her she has ridden hot, not hot like 'typical Harley hot' but '2nd degree burn - HOLY HELL HOT'. Took her to my dealer (there's only one on the island that I live on) before Texas and he couldn't diagnosis any issues because he can't read the codes (Maybe because it's a race tuner or maybe because it's a US Bike and CDN Dealer, so foreign codes?)

Where do I go from here?

I have one good tuner on the island located 2 hours north of me, but he's steep ($750+tx) if that's not likely the remedy.

I've checked the battery, the connections, the spark plugs are new. I have enough skill for maintenance but I'm no mechanic. My independent guy doesn't have a code reader and takes several weeks to diagnose and repair. While I don't want to finish off my summer with her in the shop, I don't know if I'm doing more damage to the starter or engine by cranking on a dead horse.

Ideas?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Similar to u, im no mechanic either! But something ive found has worked for me is to hit the start button just for half a second to get the motor to turn just a bit. Builds compression just like kickstarting an old dirt bike. Then start normally. It wont fix the issue but it sounds better and less strain on the starter. I changed the starter clutch as well. Works for me, hopefully for u 2! Just an idea!!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Sometimes i need to do the half second start twice, then start normally.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:13 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

My 09 Road King would so something like that too when hot and the way that bike was setup I was told not to wait before pressing the starter, I was told to hit the starter as soon as I could. That helped for the most part when trying to start the bike when hot. I don't think that's the solution but it might help.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

How many places are you going to post this same question?

That is a MANLY hand for a girl...............

Your starter is bad, it isnt' rocket science. It is getting hot and it is failing.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,885 Likes on 8,610 Posts

Originally Posted by jpowell490

Your starter is bad, it isnt' rocket science. It is getting hot and it is failing.
Bingo!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:47 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts
Old 08-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by jpowell490

Her hand didn't look manly at all to me. Too well manicured.Typical country girl. They don't wear fake fingernails.

While difficult starting warm is typical of a failing starter, (resistance increases with heat), starter sounds OK in video.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:50 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Either need to rebuild starter, or replace it...that's all she wrote.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM
jumccaff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the quick start method as suggested and it does work, at least for now until I can get the bike in to my mechanic to see about fixing or replacing the starter. Will it hurt the bike any by quick starting her until I get into my mechanic next month?

P.S. My "manly hands" bitch slap just fine

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP A GIRL OUT - bike starting issues