Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

proof positive my bike has been flashed? also, XIED info please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 PM
cmross13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proof positive my bike has been flashed? also, XIED info please?

so i bought my Nightser used with a heavy breather and full exhaust installed by the previous owner. i can't find any traces of a tuner or xieds being installed, and so i recently panicked.

i asked a dealer if they could tell me if its already been reflashed with the HD/SE "Stage 1" map if i gave them the VIN or the bike, basically they told me no, and that all they could do is a "stage 1 download" for $220 or install a tuner and go from there.

is there a way to find out for sure if i already have this downloaded map? maybe one of you works at a dealer and can run the VIN for me? or maybe i can call the dealer where it was originally purchased and i think maintained and ask them?

i really cant afford to spring $750 on a ThunderMax right now...

my second question is: provided the bike DOES have the stage 1 flash, would a simple pair of non adjustable XIEDs be sufficient for ANY upgraded air cleaner/exhaust combination? im looking into the RSD, kuryakn, or other velocity stack type air cleaner and either wide open(no baffle) slip-ons or a custom 2-1 similar to the original RSD Slant prototype, also with no baffle. i understand some power will be left without proper tuning, i just want it to be safe to ride(hard) on 93 octane.

that will be the extent of my mods until i cant afford a 90" kit, some gnarly cams and heads, and the proper tuning.

any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cmross13
so i bought my Nightser used with a heavy breather and full exhaust installed by the previous owner. i can't find any traces of a tuner or xieds being installed, and so i recently panicked.

i asked a dealer if they could tell me if its already been reflashed with the HD/SE "Stage 1" map if i gave them the VIN or the bike, basically they told me no, and that all they could do is a "stage 1 download" for $220 or install a tuner and go from there.

is there a way to find out for sure if i already have this downloaded map? maybe one of you works at a dealer and can run the VIN for me? or maybe i can call the dealer where it was originally purchased and i think maintained and ask them?

i really cant afford to spring $750 on a ThunderMax right now...

my second question is: provided the bike DOES have the stage 1 flash, would a simple pair of non adjustable XIEDs be sufficient for ANY upgraded air cleaner/exhaust combination? im looking into the RSD, kuryakn, or other velocity stack type air cleaner and either wide open(no baffle) slip-ons or a custom 2-1 similar to the original RSD Slant prototype, also with no baffle. i understand some power will be left without proper tuning, i just want it to be safe to ride(hard) on 93 octane.

that will be the extent of my mods until i cant afford a 90" kit, some gnarly cams and heads, and the proper tuning.

any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Did you ask the previous owner? Other than that I don't know if it's possible to determine if you have dealer download, although I would think the dealer that did it would have a record.

Remember that XIEDs only work in the closed loop areas.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:10 PM
cmross13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it used from a dealer.