Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Just back from the dyno tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 03:08 PM
grandpawmoses
|
Road Master
Default Just back from the dyno tuning

Just got home from the dyno tuning. Starting numbers were 65.49 HP & 76.23 torque. Air/Fuel was varing around 13.8. Bearing in mind that I had already installed slip-on mufflers w/ 2" baffles , SE AC, & SERT map for stage I w/ O2 bias maxed out before the tuning, I thought these numbers would have been higher. Final numbers were 76.57 HP & 90.77 torque. Air/Fuel graph looks basically flat at about 13.2 & dips slightly under 13above 5700 rpm. That's a 17% increase in HP & 19% increase in torque. I'm not sure how my final numbers compare to the norm but the % increase seems well worth the dyno cost.
I may have mentioned that I had to travel a little distance to this tuner & due to the weathers temperature drop, I trailered the bike. I'll let you guys know how it performs as soon as it warms up a little later today.
I do want to say that this dealer I went to in Huntsville, AL was a class act. They weren't the largest I have been in but they were the most professional. They even re-installed the slip-on mufflers to put a silicone seal in the connection. The tuner, Alan, said a poor seal there would affect VE values. I also got a complementary "hog wash". They detailed the biketo be as clean as the new models on the showroom floor.

Old 04-07-2007 | 03:52 PM
toprofile
Tourer
Default RE: Just back from the dyno tuning

So . . .
Actual Torque at the rear weal WITH the SE A/C and SERT map was 76.23?
13lbs less than the advertised stock numbers, without the SE A/C?
Are they taking the 'advertised' numbers from the same guy Jack got his beans from??
Yeesh

Old 04-08-2007 | 05:12 PM
grandpawmoses
|
Road Master

Finally got to try her out this AM. It behaves like a different engine. Lugging in sixth gear is gone along with the deceleration popping. Probably just me but I didn't hear the fifth gear whine either. This is what it should have been off the showroom floor.

Old 04-08-2007 | 08:37 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Good to hear it went well and the outcome is phenomenal! Seems like the pre-tuned run was "choked down" with just a canned map/02 bias maxed setting, and the efficacy of the tuning was displayed with the big HP/TQincrease.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Nothing like a finely tuned machine.

BTW: whichmap #were you running pre-dyno. Notjustthe calibration #, but the actual map itself.

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:24 PM
grandpawmoses
|
Road Master

It was 159AE003 (#67) with the only modification being the 02 bias maxed out.

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:47 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grandpawmoses

Interesting, the pre-"J" CD map is 159AE003-A0

the "J" CD map is 159AE003-A

Wonder what the difference is/was between these 2 maps?

Stock 96in Softail #'s are ~68HP/83TQ

Stage I 96in Softail #'s are ~81HP/96TQ

Your pre-tune Stage I #'s certainly spell out the necessity for a dyno tune and the deficiency a canned map has to offer without the aforementioned dyno.[&:]

Old 04-09-2007 | 07:09 AM
grandpawmoses
|
Road Master

THe difference between A0 & A1 is probably the torque smoothing. My exhaust is just "slip-ons", a full pipe swapout might up the numbers a little.

Old 04-09-2007 | 11:54 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

Did you run your bike with 159AE003 straightoff the CD for a while andthen maxthe CLB, if socould you feel a difference. Ordid you max them right away andare they still Maxed out after they tuned it? The reason I ask is I've tried Maxing my CBL and the bike feels like its fat.....runs best@650mv-750mv. Just curious becauseyour final numbers look great,but your intial touque seemslow for a stage 1 with a canned map.

Old 04-09-2007 | 01:06 PM
murphdog
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cjuetten
Did you run your bike with 159AE003 straightoff the CD for a while andthen maxthe CLB, if socould you feel a difference. Ordid you max them right away andare they still Maxed out after they tuned it? The reason I ask is I've tried Maxing my CBL and the bike feels like its fat.....runs best@650mv-750mv. Just curious becauseyour final numbers look great,but your intial touque seemslow for a stage 1 with a canned map.
Same question here, what does your closed loop bias table look like after tuning? And did you start with the 159AE003-A0 or the 159AE003-A1?
I'm running the A1 map in mine and it feels really good. But if I could pick another 14 lb-ft of torque, I'd be so happy I don't know what I'd do.

Old 04-09-2007 | 08:43 PM
grandpawmoses
|
Road Master

I started out with the A0 map & later maxed out the 02 bias. There seemed to be a noticable difference and I aquired a little decel popping. Nothing too obnoxious though. I got a "J" CD & immediately loaded the A1 map with the 02 bias maxed out. I couldn't tell that anything changed. Yeah, I got a copy of the map file they put in and it has the 02 bias maxed out. I've attached a scan of the dyno runs.

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

[IMG]local://upfiles/19017/39B18A4A13C24616902F5D4B0FB8354B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Just back from the dyno tuning