Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM vs Thundermax Autotuner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM vs Thundermax Autotuner.

I had an issue come up on my 08 Street Glide. The reserve fuel indicator on the gauge has stop showing up and my cruise control will turn off on its own every now and then. Both are not a real big deal, however, I took it to the HD dealer and was told that they could not check out this issue because I have an aftermarket autotuner on my bike. I have the thundermax autotuner. The tech told me that he didn't have a way to hook up to the ECM because the thundermax is both an autotuner and ECM. He told me I would need the stock ECM on my bike so he could attach and read the computer to see what my issues were. He said he thought I might have a bad tuner/ECM. So he told me it was like $350 + $85 labor to install the factory ECM on my bike. So he further tells me that since I have the stage 1 air filter and the true dual exhaust, I would also need the screamin eagle tuner so they could program the air filter and exhaust into the system. He told me that without it, it could burn a hole in my piston. I spoke with a friend of mine today that purchased a 13 Ultra Limited and had the Stage 1 system installed and the true dual exhaust system installed on it. He told me the dealer was able to "add" the upgrades to the ECM without the need of the additional tuner. The dealer told me the screamin eagle tuner would be an additional $450 + two hours labor to install it bringing the total to around $1000. Is there any truth to needing both or can the factory ECM be modified to allow the stage 1 and true duals to it. Thanks in advance..

Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off the stock ECM can be flashed for stage one mods. Did you keep your stock ECM? It only takes a few minuts to reinstall it it but the narrow band O2 sensors need to be reinstalled for it and that takes a bit more time.
Secound its pretty unlikley you have a bad TMax ECM. Have you loaded the latest firmware and followed their trouble shooting process? ThunderHeart has great service, you just have to contact them for help.
A couple of other things that may not relate to your problem is that The TMax likes a good battery and the use of dielecteic grease on connectors.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by icebite1
First off the stock ECM can be flashed for stage one mods. Did you keep your stock ECM? It only takes a few minuts to reinstall it it but the narrow band O2 sensors need to be reinstalled for it and that takes a bit more time.
Secound its pretty unlikley you have a bad TMax ECM. Have you loaded the latest firmware and followed their trouble shooting process? ThunderHeart has great service, you just have to contact them for help.
A couple of other things that may not relate to your problem is that The TMax likes a good battery and the use of dielecteic grease on connectors.
Thanks for the reply! The HD service writer told me that the "stock" ECM" could not be programed. I wish that if they don't know, they just tell the customer that they just don't know instead of telling the BS.
I have not loaded nor updated the TMax since I owned the bike. It came on the bike when I bought it and don't know that much about it or have the technical skill to do it I believe. I will have to look into the process though. Good time to get my feet wet.
I had the battery checked a few months ago and they told me it was in good shape. Thanks again for the suggestions...

Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check diagnostic codes on the T-max. Hook it up to your computer, read the module maps & settings, and then open up the "Diagnostic Codes" screen. You can then quickly see if any error codes are tripped that may be related to the problems you're having.

"You can't program the stock ECM" is just straight BS. But you have to expect the HD guys to want to sell you on the HD product. There are several flash tuners out there that can do it, and you can learn about a few on this board.

I definitely agree with icebite about updating your firmware. It's really easy to do, and there are some great self-help vids for t-max on youtube, most by cycle solutions. If you can't solve the puzzle after updaing firmware and checking the diagnostic codes, send an email into tech support and they should be able to help.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Sounds like you dont have the cable to hook up a laptop either. Here is TMax web site link http://www.thunder-max.com/ you will have to navigate thru the site to find what you need or better yet contact them and tell them what you have and want to do. All the user and trouble shooting manuals can be downloaded from their web site free.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate

Thanks for you help guys. I am looking into it right now. I have the laptop, but no connections cables. I will get some and download and see what happens. Thanks again guys....

Old 07-07-2014, 01:02 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check codes using your console too, just as you would if the stock ECM was still installed. I did it on my 04 heritage not too long ago.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That dealer IS correct on ALL counts. AFter 2006, those 'dealer flashes' are crap in the pan... they do NOT work for a proper Stage 1 set up. It needs to be tuned, like the service writer says. Secondly, you are seeing first hand what happens when you take a bike in without a stock Delphi ECU in the bike. There will be NO dealer touch a TMax.

Dudes here that are telling you you can get a flash from a dealer withOUT buying the SEPST are full of it. That flash adds NO fuel and alters NO timing... it raises the REV limit and that is about it. THAT flash has to be 100% EPA compliant.

2006 Flash? In the old catalogs, that flash had crossed flags. It DID change fuel and timing and that is what confuses folks today who have no true knowledge of what happens inside an ECM.

Follow whatever it is the guys here, that know TMax are telling you.... just wanted to point out that is one GOOD dealer and they are NOT blowing smoke. Keep them.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Street Glide 08
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
That dealer IS correct on ALL counts. AFter 2006, those 'dealer flashes' are crap in the pan... they do NOT work for a proper Stage 1 set up. It needs to be tuned, like the service writer says. Secondly, you are seeing first hand what happens when you take a bike in without a stock Delphi ECU in the bike. There will be NO dealer touch a TMax.

Dudes here that are telling you you can get a flash from a dealer withOUT buying the SEPST are full of it. That flash adds NO fuel and alters NO timing... it raises the REV limit and that is about it. THAT flash has to be 100% EPA compliant.

2006 Flash? In the old catalogs, that flash had crossed flags. It DID change fuel and timing and that is what confuses folks today who have no true knowledge of what happens inside an ECM.

Follow whatever it is the guys here, that know TMax are telling you.... just wanted to point out that is one GOOD dealer and they are NOT blowing smoke. Keep them.
Thanks for your input and knowledge. I don't have much knowledge of this subject and have to rely on folks like yourself and the "experts" at the dealer. It kind of makes me feel better that he might not have been feeding me a bunch of BS at the dealer. I really like the dealership and used them several times prior.
I decided to check more into the T-max update and get someone professional to take care of it for me. I really appreciate all the input..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Wurk turk- I take offense with your post. Where did I give the OP any false info.
I do agree those "dealer flashes" are crap.

Quick Reply: ECM vs Thundermax Autotuner.