Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax - Hard start but great when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am only going to make a suggestion on the IAC. Have you checked to see if the small port for the IAC just inside the throttle body throat is clean/clear?
Im sure you know that any movement/blipping by you of the throttle while its trying to calibrate will screw it up.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BigBoyz calculator puts corrected compression at 9.74:1 so I don't think that is the issue. It runs great after warm and fires right up if it has only been a few minutes.

I believe it is just getting the IAC home position set, which I am playing with a little at a time.

I have also increased my cranking fuel, which I also had to do with the Andrews 37s...I am at 10milliseconds.

If I do nothing to the bike and try to give it the first start of the day, it will fire and stall...cough a couple times. After about the 5th try it usually stays running.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I am sure I will get it dialed in.

On contacting Tech support, I actually contacted them months ago via the website and am still waiting on a reply. It was just a simple question of how to figure out the Speedo calibration after changing to a 30T pulley.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:08 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman
On contacting Tech support, I actually contacted them months ago via the website and am still waiting on a reply. It was just a simple question of how to figure out the Speedo calibration after changing to a 30T pulley.
I've found the most accurate way to do this is using the Indicated vs True Speed in the speedo calc. The best is with a GPS but I didn't have one to do this so I rode through one of those radar display speed signs. I knew they were good for something. I also checked it against the speedo with someone I was riding and it was within 1 mph.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman
BigBoyz calculator puts corrected compression at 9.74:1 so I don't think that is the issue. It runs great after warm and fires right up if it has only been a few minutes.

Have you looked at the "AFR Correction VS Engine temperature" table yet.

Quote from the Thundermax smarlink Manual.
"If the engine is acting erratically at certain temperatures during warm up, usually in cold weather, but it returns to normal operation by the end of the warm up period, you may need to alter the AFR Correction value at those specific temperatures. The AFR Correction vs. Engine Temperature page allows you to make changes at specific temperatures where the problem may exist, without changing the AFR at normal operating temperature."

Manual explains how to adjust this but it is not a fast process.

Back to the compression. 9.74:1 is too high for Corrected compression. Corrected compression should be in the rage of 8.8:1 thru 9.3:1. Here is a link that explains it better than I can.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/optimizing...ine-efficiency

Last edited by Boost; 06-24-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,981 Likes on 4,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost
Have you looked at the "AFR Correction VS Engine temperature" table yet.

Back to the compression. 9.74:1 is too high for Corrected compression. Corrected compression should be in the rage of 8.8:1 thru 9.3:1. Here is a link that explains it better than I can.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/optimizing...ine-efficiency
Not really.. It does take a little bit of work to get the timing right.. I've been running 9.9 to 1 on a bagger for about 35K.. CCP is about 220 psi.. 10.8 to 1 with a Crane H290.. Sweet running bike.. It has a gen 2 Tmax on it..

Dennish is a little conservative. You do need to get the tune right tho.