Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS on a Surface

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 04:15 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TTS on a Surface

I was wondering if anyone has tried (and succeeded) putting TTS on a Microsoft Surface tablet. I installed and ran TTS on my old cluncky laptop and thought I would try it on my newer Surface to further tune my trike. After I downloaded TTS and tried to open the file, it gave me a message that I can't run that software on this computer. I wasn't sure if it was the Surface that couldn't run TTS or that it was WIN8 that couldn't run TTS. Any success stories? Other tablets TTS will run on?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBear
I was wondering if anyone has tried (and succeeded) putting TTS on a Microsoft Surface tablet. I installed and ran TTS on my old cluncky laptop and thought I would try it on my newer Surface to further tune my trike. After I downloaded TTS and tried to open the file, it gave me a message that I can't run that software on this computer. I wasn't sure if it was the Surface that couldn't run TTS or that it was WIN8 that couldn't run TTS. Any success stories? Other tablets TTS will run on?
Haven't tried 8 yet. Does the surface have a slim version of 8 or full? If full see if it has compatibility mode then select to run in 7/xp mode.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:06 PM
ZBear
Cruiser

Originally Posted by slyedog
Haven't tried 8 yet. Does the surface have a slim version of 8 or full? If full see if it has compatibility mode then select to run in 7/xp mode.
The Surface does has compatibility mode but it seems just when looking at web sites, not opening downloads. It only wants to run programs purchased from Microsoft. I only had bought the Surface to view emails while on vacation. Just keep trying to do more with it. Thx, Bear

Old 06-14-2014, 07:10 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It runs on WIN8 just fine. It will run on Surface Pro, too (which has Win8). The regular Surface has like Win CE or some 'lite version' and I doubt it would run on that.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:16 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBear
The Surface does has compatibility mode but it seems just when looking at web sites, not opening downloads. It only wants to run programs purchased from Microsoft. I only had bought the Surface to view emails while on vacation. Just keep trying to do more with it. Thx, Bear
You can try an external drive for the install disc and then see if it installs.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 PM
spr0k3t
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is a surface and not a surface pro, you can stop trying. The surface only runs software designed for ARM processors where the application you are trying to run is for x86 type processors. Its like trying to play a PS3 game on a nintendo 64. This very reason is the cause for a very high rate of return when it first released. I've been in the computer industry for more than 20 years in case you were wondering.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:41 AM
ZBear
Cruiser

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
If this is a surface and not a surface pro, you can stop trying. The surface only runs software designed for ARM processors where the application you are trying to run is for x86 type processors. Its like trying to play a PS3 game on a nintendo 64. This very reason is the cause for a very high rate of return when it first released. I've been in the computer industry for more than 20 years in case you were wondering.
Thanks for the input. Yeah this is just a regular Surface. I bought it on Black Friday from the Microsoft Store for $199. Get what you pay for I guess. Like I said previously, I mainly bought it for email when I was on the road. I just keep trying to do other things with. At least it will let me post on this forum (like now). I was surprised when my old Epson 340r was plug and play with it. I had to download drivers when I transitioned thru Vista & again at WIN7 when I upgraded computers. I don't know if my old Dell 1721 lap top is worth upgrading to continue using TTS on. It is really slow. I may just keep an eye on Craig's List for a cheap laptop, they pop up every once in a while when someone needs cash. Again, thanks, Bear

Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM
spr0k3t
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 1721 can still be used. It just has a common problem for eating hard drives is all. Run a hard drive test from something like Hiren's Boot CD. If you are looking for a tank of a laptop, look at Lenovo business class... They can really take a good beating. The consumer grade models are not as good though. Almost as flimsy as the dells or hps.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I run TTS (for tuning), SE, and PV (for modifying maps) software on my surface pro 2 with 8.1. I also have a mount by ram mount that attaches my surface to the handlebar and clamps it in place so I can see what I'm doing while tuning with TTS. Works perfectly

sickening but I paid $1200 for my surface pro 2. now that the surface pro 3 is out, the price has dropped literally in half. Maybe not quite half because I got the biggest baddest surface pro 2 available

Old 06-15-2014, 04:11 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
The 1721 can still be used. It just has a common problem for eating hard drives is all. Run a hard drive test from something like Hiren's Boot CD. If you are looking for a tank of a laptop, look at Lenovo business class... They can really take a good beating. The consumer grade models are not as good though. Almost as flimsy as the dells or hps.
I always try to buy laptops with serial ports for work... and tuning if need be. Right now I am using a Win7 Toshiba.

Any advice on laptops made today with a serial port, and NOT be a Tough Book style deal. (too expensive). Still prefer Win7, due to work requirements [PLC companies, like Siemens, have yet to adopt Win8]