Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2000 EFI popping on decel/shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 AM
beemer737
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 EFI popping on decel/shifting

Hello all, I have a 2000 EG with Stage 1, SE slip-ons. The bike from the first day of mod has had a slight case of popping during decel, dealer said it was normal. Lately (2,000 miles later) it pops pretty good on decel and also when letting off the throttle in between shifts. I don't think thats normal and will take it to the dealer shortly, I 'm interested in a few things:

First, I've done the search thing but info on 2000 EFI doesn't seem to be available, It's my understandingthe 2000 EFI system doesn't really allow for much tuning, what can be done to bring this bike up to date, what have others done?

Second, what could bemy problem with the popping? I have tried different brands of gas and injector cleaners, no luck.

thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2007, 01:11 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2000 EFI popping on decel/shifting

Make sure that your pipes are tight to your motor. Make sure that the slipons are tight to the headpipes.

Leaks before the muffler body can cause popping, especially at the heads.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 AM
beemer737
Tourer

Thanks for the quick response, i tried tightening the slip-ons to Torq, they check good, ca't see any signs of a leak there or by the heads.

Anything else?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If your intake is leaking, you could get popping as well but I'd suspect backfiring through the carb as well.
Some is normal. If you listen hard with stockers you can hear it as well.

My concern stems from the change you are experiencing. Something changed in the tune... Maybe check the gap on your plugs as well. Wide gaps could be leaving unburnt fuel that could cause the popping.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2000 popped on decel for years. It started the dayI putaftermarket mufflers. I thought it was a leak and chased that ghost for awhile. I finally concluded it was due to themore open mufflers. Blue flames would shoot out of the right pipe when rolling off the gas at interstate speeds. I rode it that way for 5 years/50+k miles with no problems. At 54k miles, I swapped on True Dual headpipes. That was the end of the popping.

You can tune a 2000 model MM FI system. I use a DFO. However, they are other units available, including the Power Commander and SE Race Fueler.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:51 PM
ahab211
Cruiser

I have the SE slip on's, too. I've tried upgrading to a stage one with the kit and putting it on the dyno several times with adjustments to the carb. I checked and tightened for leaks, changed plugs to the SE split plugs with SE wires. I've come to the conclusion as stated in another message that until I go to a true dual or smaller diameter pipes I'll have to live with the decel pop.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 PM
beemer737
Tourer

The only thing thats changed over the last few miles is location. It was tuned in Boise, now I'm in Phoenix, a change of a few thousand feet in elevation lower, which could mean a leaner run, except doesn't this thing adapt to barometric pressure??

Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 AM
DavyDiesel
Cruiser

You might check your baffles to see if they are burned through or rusted. If so, that might change the back pressure causing more popping/backfiring. Another little trick is to pull the baffle and put a pipe clamp or two around the baffle. try one, then two and see what happens. Again, this increases the back pressure and might resolve or help your problem.

Other than that, get a sert and a dyno tune from a GOOD tuner.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beemer, I had the same problem as you, popping on decel, and no it's not normal.

Remove the heat shields on your pipes and check for cracks. Mine had a crack where the crossover pipe tied into the right side exhaust header. Also, all four bolts on my header pipes at the cylinder heads were only finger tight, probably from years of riding and never being checked.

To make a long story short, instead of replacing the crossover pipe, I replaced the exhaust with Rinehart true duals (now no crossover pipe to crack) and added a PCIII. Guess what, no popping on decel and runs like a scalded cat!

It's not something you have to live with, and you shouldn't have to. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:01 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: beemer737

The only thing thats changed over the last few miles is location. It was tuned in Boise, now I'm in Phoenix, a change of a few thousand feet in elevation lower, which could mean a leaner run, except doesn't this thing adapt to barometric pressure??
That is a big consideration........my EFI system is very sensitive to weather changes and different gasoline...cool dry days runs great......no popping......warm humid days pops somewhat. Shell Vpower runs great BP Ultimate runs like crap.I have the Stage1 with SERT and have had it tuned dyno twice....I have spoke with 3 different tuners here 2 HD and one indy....all three said the weather here is tough on the EFI bikes. Humidity seems to effect mine the most. But I am really **** about it so I might ride 3 hours and have it pop once or twice in city traffic. If anything mine is too rich and I'm popping out the exhaust.

Quick Reply: 2000 EFI popping on decel/shifting