Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Fxer1982
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED

here is my bike layout 2003 fatboy carbed, 95cid, 203 cam, perfit fit pushrods, screaming eagle ingition, 45mm mikuni. has run fine but very hard to start this year. i checked battery ok there. oil ok, good gas, here is what i have as a problem: when i hit the button, it clicks and tries to turn over i add battery charger and after some trying it does turn over and will start but i must use this charger. the battery is fine. i took battery out of bike and checked it out: ok. but when i put a continuity checker on the two battery wires on the bike it beeeps as if there is a short this is with the key in the off position???? i use the + of the bike to the + of the tester and - of the bike to the - of the tester and beeep. but when i put the - of the biketo the + of the tester and the + of the bike to the - of the tester no beeep just continuity check still key in off postion. is there a short in my starter???? i just cant figure why i would get a signal through the large wires that you would connect the battery to if the key is in the off poistion??? as i figure it would allow my battery to discharge all the time it sits???? if any of you guys can try your bike without your battery in it and tell me if you get continuity through the thick battery leads with the key in the off position and get back to me. i dont know if i have shorted my starter windings with having this 95cid and no comperssion releases but i have been riding it for 37,000with no trouble untill this yr i have ridden it for a couple of days but im having trouble now. i have a new battery but have not tried it yet stumped on the continuity readings. also i have check out all of the other electrical systems and all is ok there just in this starting system???? [please im in a rutt and ive scratched my head to the point of hurting] im no electrical tech and want some good advice from you guys here so please can any of you help me>.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM
riles10
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED

fx when you get a chance read my post today from riles. similar problems but my battery isn't draining.