Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2012 IRON 883 , wanting A/C AND tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:20 PM
moptimisprime
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 IRON 883 , wanting A/C AND tuner?

Hi, everyone
I have a 2012 iron 883 with full v&h staggered short exhaust system on it and thats the only mod yet. Recently I saw that their was a lot of blow back accumulating in the throttle body and top end of the engine. And am wondering whether this is due to the full exhaust set up? Any way I want to get a hi flow air filter probably from DK and am wondering what tuner or software to get to compensate for the added A/C this will probably be the only other engine mod and i don't plan on doing a 1200 conversion , but i do ride it for long distances and want it to be reliable and running cool .
and advice on a a/c and tuner combo? something easy and within $350 budget?

Old 05-11-2014, 07:24 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Originally Posted by moptimisprime
Hi, everyone
I have a 2012 iron 883 with full v&h staggered short exhaust system on it and thats the only mod yet. Recently I saw that their was a lot of blow back accumulating in the throttle body and top end of the engine. And am wondering whether this is due to the full exhaust set up? Any way I want to get a hi flow air filter probably from DK and am wondering what tuner or software to get to compensate for the added A/C this will probably be the only other engine mod and i don't plan on doing a 1200 conversion , but i do ride it for long distances and want it to be reliable and running cool .
and advice on a a/c and tuner combo? something easy and within $350 budget?
Exhaust will not increase or decrease blow-by.

With any of the DK Outlaw Air Cleaners you can use the XiED to get the AFR good. Click HERE to read more.

The A/C and the XiED will come in less than your budget. That is how I ran my 883 for years and was very happy with it.

With your V&H pipes you can add the Thunder Torque Inserts for another $25 and still be under budget, and have More power, and it will run a bit cooler too.

For a full-fledged tuner, you can't do better than the Power Vision (click HERE for details), but that will blow your budget by a couple hundred.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 05-12-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM
moptimisprime
3rd Gear

Thx DK very helpful but will the XIED thing increase the limiter as well? or just the fuel

Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Thx DK very helpful but will the XIED thing increase the limiter as well? or just the fuel
XIED's will not increase the rev limits. It only tricks the ECM into running richer. I'm not a fan, because it doesn't allow for RPM vs. load tuning, but there are many here that seem satisfied with it.

Look at Fuel Moto's Micro EFI tuner. It's about $199 and is much more tunable. You can adjust fuel and timing individually for either cylinder and it allows you to increase the rev. limit.

Call Fuel Moto and discuss your requirements with them. Excellent support, and they have alternative solutions that may also interest you. They are straight shooters and always helpful. They will also provide a good base map for your bike.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,446 Posts

No, it does not increase the rev limiter, only the fuel.

Originally Posted by nhrider1
XIED's will not increase the rev limits. It only tricks the ECM into running richer. I'm not a fan, because it doesn't allow for RPM vs. load tuning, but there are many here that seem satisfied with it.

Look at Fuel Moto's Micro EFI tuner. It's about $199 and is much more tunable. You can adjust fuel and timing individually for either cylinder and it allows you to increase the rev. limit.

Call Fuel Moto and discuss your requirements with them. Excellent support, and they have alternative solutions that may also interest you. They are straight shooters and always helpful. They will also provide a good base map for your bike.
The above statement in bold is inaccurate. The ECM already adjusts for for varying conditions, including "load". The XiED works WITH the ECM. The fuel and timing are adjusted for "load" with the XiED.

That said, the FM Micro EFI tuner is better and allows for more adjustment than the XiED, and you will be able to stay in budget with it and an Outlaw A/C.

Good point nhrider1.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM
moptimisprime
3rd Gear

any ideas on the vance and hines FP3? its a bit over my budget but i like the auto tune feature. Any advice on this.