Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What Is Too Hot??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 AM
Fritzables
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Is Too Hot??

When we tune for maximum output from our tunes we must take into consideration that the engine doesn't become too hot.

I have a 883 Iron that I have where I want it with respect to power delivery.

I now want to run a VTune rune to understand what temps are being reached.

But... what temp is considered to bee too hot - I have seen a max temp of 167C on a run but didn't stay up there for too long.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I always thought the bike goes into 'limp' mode (if thats what you call it) at 300*F (150*C). 167C is about 330F so id b worried with those temps. I chose to pull over and shut mine down when it hit 120 a few weeks ago in the city. I average about 97-105C normal riding on a warmish day. What i would like to know is, is the oil temp different from an actual engine temp, or are they the same thing?

Last edited by Oz Nightrain; 04-21-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 AM
Fritzables
Intermediate

Thanks for the post. I do know that the Sporties run different to the Evo engines. The Sportie engine doesn't come out of Open Loop until 145C. The engine temp normally runs around 150 unless I am up it - that's where I see the 167.

Hopefully we may see a post from someone who knows what to expect.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:28 PM
jmr1971
Tourer

I think you have to know what's "normal" for your bike. I'm not running an oil cooler with my 113" and I normally don't look twice at temps up to 275F on the analog gauge in the oil bad plug. It's been hotter but that's in thick traffic in the middle of summer when I can't get the breeze working in my favor. If outside temps are below about 80 degrees, I rarely see anything over 245-250 unless I'm stuck in traffic.

If you think you're running too hot, think about an oil cooler if you don't already have one, and consider a switch to synthetic oil. Some EFI modules like Thundermax also claim to make your bike run cooler, but I don't know if that's legit.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

First of all. Don't run a v-tune run to check out riding temps, etc. Run a generic O2 data run, instead.

Your sportster is nothing like a big twin and don't take any advice from folks that own a big twin... a Sportser is quite different from a Twin Cam...your bike does NOT have a function called ETIMS that shuts off a cylinder, etc. A Sportser ECU has like 50% of the computing power that a Twin Cam has. It IS different for sure.

Also, pay NO attention to folks that tell you what their oil temp is running at, as this is NOT engine temp. Engine temp is monitored by a sensor and there is no sensor for oil temp at all. The engine temp sensor is in the head. Engine temperature is used by the ECU to control some functions and has nothing to do with whatever the oil is doing at all. NO correlation whatsoever.

If you never see close to 275-300F, you should be good. Those numbers are what you try NOT to see if at all possible. Bad, hot days may see 300F, but those are to be avoided like the plague if possible. Usually happens on very hot days, while in traffic. Since your bike does not have as good as a 'heat mode' (it WILL enrichen the bike a bit when really hot, it will be pulling some timing due to the heat, too... but unlike the big twin will NOT shut a cylinder off). ON those times, it is advisable to pull off and allow it to cool.

What are you talking about the engine doesn't come out of open loop until 145c? Do you mean it won't start using closed loop until 145C? That is NOT correct at all. I may believe 145 FAHRENHEIT, though. Explain this 145C thing, because I feel you are confusing Celsius with Fahrenheit here. Big twins will start working the closed loop at 167 FAHRENHEIT, not Celsius. If you have seen 167C, you have some serious problems going on with the tune, or with something mechanical. That is 332F and that... is an issue for sure.

How exactly ARE you looking at engine temps? Have you done any V-Tuning? The default on v-tuning and Datamaster in general is F, not C.

Go find you v-tune data log. OK. Go open Datamaster. Click 'file' at the top. Click 'open datamaster recording". Poof, there it is, right? A graph with a bunch of multi colored lines, right? OK... Go to 'view'. Click 'v-tune histogram' for me. Another box will open up. On the new box, hit the 'start' button towards the top right hand of the Histogram box, you will be able to watch the engine temps when you were running v-tune.

The Histogram, the most important tool in this TTS tool box, BTW... you will be seeing engine temps in F, not C.

Report back what you are seeing in the Histogram before we move forward. You and I need to be on the exact same page as far as what temps we are talking about before we go any further.

They have not made an EVO since 1998, either. It is called a Twin Cam now a days.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Fritzables
Intermediate

G'Day Mr Truk,

Thanks for the reply. I have noted your comments about not using VTune to understand what Temps are being seen. I will make a run on the weekend as use the O2 data to give me the detail I'm seeking.

If you never see close to 275-300F, you should be good. Those numbers are what you try NOT to see if at all possible. Bad, hot days may see 300F, but those are to be avoided like the plague if possible. Usually happens on very hot days, while in traffic. Since your bike does not have as good as a 'heat mode' (it WILL enrichen the bike a bit when really hot, it will be pulling some timing due to the heat, too... but unlike the big twin will NOT shut a cylinder off). ON those times, it is advisable to pull off and allow it to cool.
This is interesting indeed. Most of my runs have the temp at around 155C which is a little over 300F. I went to the Dealer and asked for their thoughts and they say the Sporster temp runs around 150+C but made no mention on what was considered High (thus this post).

I have sent him another email this arvo asking for Limits but yet haven't heard back yet - I will keep this post updated once I find out.

What are you talking about the engine doesn't come out of open loop until 145c?
My ****-up Truk, god knows why I said that ?!?!? :-) What I meant to say is that VTune won't start recording valid data until temp reaches 145C.

Yes, I have been using Datamaster to give me what temps the engine is running at. By default Fahrenheit is the chosen unit of temperature but I have changed this to Celsius.

I will find a way to get a run to you so you can take a look at where I am getting my info from.

The bike goes like stink now (which worries me) and that's why I am so concerned about temps.

I will get onto the dealer in the morning and update the post.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,256 Posts

On a hot day 98* F my oil runs at 200* and I have shot the black top in the road and my rear tire at 150 * with a temp gun !

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 04-22-2014 at 05:39 PM.