Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Switching from SERT to PCIII?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
MrDeicerMan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from SERT to PCIII?

I'm having trouble finding someone around here that can do a good tune one my engine with the SERT. I'm pretty sure I could do it myself it would hours upon hours on a dyno. I'm thinking about switching to the PCIII. There is a dealer near me that has the tuning link software for the PCIII and can let the computer do all the thinking for me. So aside from the headache it would end up being cheaper too.

The question is can an ecm that already has the SERT loaded on it take a PCIII. I know the SERT won't work on any other ECM, but does it do anything to the ECM that will prevent a PCIII from communicating with it?[/align]

Old 03-25-2007, 07:25 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Switching from SERT to PCIII?

Yes, you could put a PC on top of the SERT. The SERT is only a key that allows the original ECM to be programmed, it is not a physical piece of equipment that stays on the bike. The PCIII reads data from the ECM and changes the data into what is stored in the PCIII internal map that you upload into it.

I would honestly try a little harder to find someone to tune the SERT properly since you've invested the $$$. You will be much happier in the long run.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:41 PM
MrDeicerMan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Switching from SERT to PCIII?

Thanks. I was hoping that would be the case.
I think you are probably right about being happier with a good tune with the SERT, but with my job keeping me out of town alot and this being the time of year that everybody and his uncle is bringing they're bikes in. My best option right now is to go with the PCIII and have it tuned this coming weekend. I have an opportunity to do a lot of riding around the country this year on my employer's dime and I need to get the bike set up soon in order to take advantage. Maybe when things get really busy for me again in the fall and I have to fly again, I can get it into a good tuner and get a proper SERT tune on it. My main concern for the time being is making sure my 110" doesn't run too lean. I can worry about max performance later.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. It puts my mind at ease knowing that I can do this for now.