Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

drained battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:52 PM
aymanl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drained battery?

help!!! I had my 06 EG sitting in my garage for about two months (should've disconnected the battery but it wasn't a planned storage). yesterday, I was going to take her out, tried to disalarm, couldn't (later I found out about the storage behavior of the alarm system), turned ignition on, then used fob to disalarm... but then tried to start, and all I could hear is clicking for a couple of seconds then stops completely ( I could swear somethingflashes in the odometer before it blanks out). I tried a few times...gave up... read through forum... manual... went back later in the evening... the alarm systemwas completely out (can't use fob.. tried to resync fob)... now when I turn on the ignition, no lights go on, except for the very dim headlight... seems like my battery got drained?one weird thing, while ignition is off, the rpm and speedometer needles randomly and erraticly vibrate andmove up for a ~4 seconds and go back to zero!!! kind of freaky....

any advice to a newbee is appreciated...

Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: drained battery?

Dead battery for sure - may be just a defective battery, but, if you're keeping the bike in storage for any length of time (> 1 month), you should be using a float charger - HD sells one that's the correct type for your AGM battery along with other manufacturers. Your bike draws a small amount of current whether or not it's running, like your car, for example (radio memories, security system). Do not jump it - call your dealer for either a tow or another battery to get it going.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, dead battery...

If it was my bike I'd remove the battery, put a trickle charger on it and let it charge for a day or two then put it back in the bike and you may be OK from there. If the battery is going bad it may or may not last you very long though. Perhaps the shop can do a bench test on it for you after you get the bike going. Or hell a battery isn't all that much, just go buy a new one if this one is questionable. Few things worse than being stranded someplace cuz of a dead battery...

Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your bike's still under factory warranty, the battery will be free - go for it!!