Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question about mapping - tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014 | 07:24 PM
Buckshaw
|
Intermediate
Default Question about mapping - tuning

I have a 2002 Heritage and I am thinking of changing the stock air cleaner out for a arlen ness big sucker. My question is 2 parts, 1- for best results i need to have it mapped after instalation? 2- if i got it dyno tuned would that include mapping? Im new to the fuel injection world and a bit confused.

Old 03-28-2014 | 10:02 AM
Wooddy04EGUC
Advanced

The way I understand it is that if you change both your air cleaner and your exhaust to a high flow exhaust then you need to do some adjustments. If it's just the air cleaner you should be ok. Dô you have an after market exhaust and tuner?

Old 03-28-2014 | 10:29 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

There are downloaded maps that can be used to re-map your ecm and for your situation those may be ok. Dyno tuning means running the bike on the dyno and checking the air fuel ratio and possibly developing a custom map specifically for your bike if needed.

An HD dealer will try and sell you a Stage 1 download and that is basically just a change in the rpm that the rev limiter is set at. HD does not have street legal maps that diverge from EPA regulations.

I had a Stage 1 download and a SE Highflow AC(same as Big Sucker) with stock exhaust and it ran ok.

Old 03-28-2014 | 10:39 AM
usraptor
Road Master

I just talked to Harley about this same issue as I just bought a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 Pro pipe and a SE AC for my '13 RGU. They advised that if I don't map it I'll burn the valves because it will run lean with the new pipe and AC. They also said I'd burn the valves if I just changed the AC and left the stock head pipes with the V&H slip ons. They tried to sell me their Stage 1 map. I'm gonna go with the new Vance and Hines Fuel Pak. You can do it yourself and from I've read get better results than a Stage 1 Map from Harley. I think the only time you really need a dyno is when you alter the engines internals; cams, pistons, heads etc. But I'm no expert so hopefully others will chime in also.

Last edited by usraptor; 03-28-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2014 | 04:19 PM
Buckshaw
|
Intermediate

I just bought the bike last weekend and had time today to actually sit down and go over it. Turns out I already have a big sucker, the previous owner put it on but just used the stock air cover, so i assumed it was a stock air cleaner. I already knew it had vance and hines pipes so looks like my stage 1 is taken care of. I thought about have it custom mapped though, just because I am not sure what the previous owner had done to it or what the dealer who took it in on trade done to it.

Old 03-28-2014 | 07:29 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buckshaw
I just bought the bike last weekend and had time today to actually sit down and go over it. Turns out I already have a big sucker, the previous owner put it on but just used the stock air cover, so i assumed it was a stock air cleaner. I already knew it had vance and hines pipes so looks like my stage 1 is taken care of. I thought about have it custom mapped though, just because I am not sure what the previous owner had done to it or what the dealer who took it in on trade done to it.
Did you look under the seat to see if it had a tuner added or have HD check if a download was done already...something was likely bought and paid for? You need a tune, if you still have a choice, get it done.

I bought my '05 Deuce one year old. It was delivered to original owner new with intake, pipes and tuner. Ran fine. Out of curiosity I had it dynoed....installed map was all zeroes...he paid for tuner and tune but received no benefit. Results of dyno by a whacko genius independent picked up 10/12, ran cooler and smoother. Please do not wait for me to suggest a dealer can help you out.

Old 03-28-2014 | 09:27 PM
Buckshaw
|
Intermediate

do you happen to know the typical price of a dyno? i know cycle solutions will be in myrtle beach for bike week (whats left of it) and i thought about going down just to have it dynoed. i dont really trust any of the shops around here. The 1 shop i did like went out of business.

Old 03-30-2014 | 07:36 AM
Phil from Barrington
Advanced

So let me summarize what I just read here and tell me if I'm all wet, as I'm just entering the world of "higher performance". I just bought a '14 Streetglide. A buddy of mine is going to give me a set of relatively new Rinehardt true duals and a SE AC (nice guy,eh?). He says all I have to do is buy a tuner for $400.00 bucks. So I go home and tell my neighbor about my good fortune and he says, ''why are you buying a tuner? You can just have Harley download a new map for you". Which is right? What is best? My future plans don't include going much further than this mod. Free breathing is all I really want and need.

Old 03-30-2014 | 09:56 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Phil from Barrington
So let me summarize what I just read here and tell me if I'm all wet, as I'm just entering the world of "higher performance". I just bought a '14 Streetglide. A buddy of mine is going to give me a set of relatively new Rinehardt true duals and a SE AC (nice guy,eh?). He says all I have to do is buy a tuner for $400.00 bucks. So I go home and tell my neighbor about my good fortune and he says, ''why are you buying a tuner? You can just have Harley download a new map for you". Which is right? What is best? My future plans don't include going much further than this mod. Free breathing is all I really want and need.
Did he tell you how much you had to spend to have an upgraded flash?

Probably not.

Spend the bucks on a tuner. You say you won't do anything else to your '14. Well, that's what you will say right now... how about next year when you want cams? The price difference in having a dealer put in a crap flash and getting a flash tuner isn't much. What if the crap flash isn't any better than what you have now. This is highly likely as the HD crap flash isn't really for your bike. You've wasted your time and money.

Buying a flash tuner will give you a much better calibration than any HD flash can by far.

Old 03-30-2014 | 10:45 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes what Mr. Wizard SAID! I went with the pv2 by fuelmoto for that reason exactly!

Quick Reply: Question about mapping - tuning