Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII USB ON 2006 FXSTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007 | 05:34 PM
El Jefe
|
Intermediate
Default PCIII USB ON 2006 FXSTS

Installed PCIII USB on my 2006 FXSTS back in January per Dynojet's instructions, mounting the PCIII in front of the rear wheel. Everythings been great with the PCIII, V&H Big Radius and AN Big Sucker - couldn't be happier. Rode the bike yesterday to the office, on the way home had sputtering and coughing etc. Called Dynojet and they told me to reload the map. I took the plastic mud guard off the bike and to my suprise a piece of plastic fell onto the garage floor. Looked in front of the tire and what did I see...the top right corner of the PCIII case was crushed. Seems the swing arm made contact with the PCII and crushed it. Of course Dynojet won't repair it even though the PCIII was installed right where their instructions said to put it. Theysaid "you must account for all possible movement of the swingarm,"it's not their problem. Gee, though that was their engineers job??? Looks like I'm going the SERT way, expensive lesson learned

Old 03-24-2007 | 07:49 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser
Default RE: PCIII USB ON 2006 FXSTS

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the PCIII. I also looked at that mounting location, but thought it was too hard to get to. Mine is stuffed under the seat. Barely fit, but it works.

Jake

Old 03-25-2007 | 02:09 AM
El Jefe
|
Intermediate

After having problems getting the connector up into the battery box I tried a few spots under the seat (HD Tall Boy model) but the seat made contact with the PCIII everywhere I tried. I figured with my added 215 pounds added that contact would increase.After pricing SERT I'm thinking of just buying another PCIII and giving it one more try. It's killing me to look at the bike sitting in the garage. I thought about putting the original pipes and air cleaner back on just to go riding but decided against it. Hope to have a new PCIII before the end of the week.

Old 03-27-2007 | 03:09 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine sits right on top of the ECM..with tie wraps holding it.

Old 03-27-2007 | 03:25 PM
anubisss
Banned

Mine is on top of the ecm too. Velcroed to it. Fits great...

Old 03-27-2007 | 10:15 PM
El Jefe
|
Intermediate

Soft06 and anubisss: Have a new PCIII enroute and should be here by tomorrow afternoon. I have the broken one and will head out into the garage and try your location. When you say "on top" of the ECM do you mean physically on top of it, or to the rear of the ECM on the fender?? You guys have no problems with the seat pan pressing the buttons on the PCIII when mounted in that location? You'd think Dynojet would mountit in that location ifit were possible instead of behind that mud guard, major PIA doing it their way. Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 03-28-2007 | 11:01 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

On the 200 tire bikes ('06 and up)therecessed tray in the fender under the seatthatthe ECM normally sits in is no longer there...thus the reason I had to mount my PCIII with zip-ties behind the plastic mud guard in front of the rear wheel as per the PCIII instructions...I tried but I couldn't get it to fit well under the seat...it is a little harder to get access to it in that location (2 screws and the guard drops down) but so far I've had no problems with it mounted there.

Old 03-30-2007 | 06:07 PM
El Jefe
|
Intermediate

I tried every possible position under that seat (the Tall Boy) and there's no way to not make contact of some kind with the PCIII if mounted under the seat. I put thereplacement in the recommended spot in front of the mud guard; this time I pulled as much of the wiring harness as possible out so it is mounted at leads 6 inches below the area where it might make contact with the swing arm. Bike's back to running great.