Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

$195 - 1-2hrs for a Good Dyno?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $195 - 1-2hrs for a Good Dyno?????

Just got off the phone with a Dyno tech (who came recommended) who could do a dyno for
$195 - and takes 1-2hrs to cmplete it. Says he knocks out 5 a day. Is this reasonable as far as could a good tune be done in 1-2 hrs????? (I'll take my SERT)?????

AND....

Just got off the phone with a HD dealer who dynos who says $400 - 6hrs to tune.(and won't give me the file.... CD

Why the huge difference???????

Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: $195 - 1-2hrs for a Good Dyno?????

What are you tuning? From my understanding, which is limited - the Sert would be a longer tune because there are more things available to tune. GearGrinder could probably add a lot more detail here.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain

When I talked to that shop they said they do tune with a SERT, and was glad I had one because they had all theirs (they had ordered)on backorder!!! So they knew it was a SERT, and they would give me the file/map!!!!

So, that's why I'm asking about the difference b/w the 2 shops

Old 03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

It took 3 hours to do a custom map for my USB (same detail as a SERT) and they charged me $280 claiming it was a 4 hour job. Starting with a base map is a cheaper way to go...

C#

Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TickTock

What are you tuning? From my understanding, which is limited - the Sert would be a longer tune because there are more things available to tune. GearGrinder could probably add a lot more detail here.
Dam you TickTock, I decided tostay outof this one, thenmy ears started ringing.

Tough question to answer.Often,the more capable the software and the more capable the tuner the longer it takes to tune and the betterthe tune. The best tunersare never done and in this scenario, the more timespenttuning and the moreyou pay the more you get. But, who's a good tuner? Iwould expect a 4-6 Hr session on a good SERT tune, but I've never tuned a SERT soI could be off. See why I didn't want to answer this one.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 AM
TickTock
Club Member

LOL GG, but I've been reading quite a bit here and you seem to be the only one with experience than can explain it! Thanks for chiming in!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:53 AM
dynodude
Intermediate

As a dynotuner in SoCal, who deals primarily with the SERT, in my opinion, you will not get a very good tune in 1-2 hrs. Even if this guy has a map for your bike with the exact combination of parts there would likely be enough variance to require
adjustment of the program to make it fuel properly for your bike. This is also why I'm not a big fan of of buying maps online, or sharing maps. Just the testing alone, to determine your AFR's at all the throttle positions and rpm's, plus start up enrichment, accel enrichment, decell enleanment would take1-1 1/2 hrs to complete, not factoring in adjustments to any tables, and subsequent retesting. To many so called "tuners"out there think that if they put yourbike on a dyno and run the crap out of it making full throttle runs and adjusting the AFR Table until they achieve the highest numbers this constitutes tuning. I charge $500-$700 and take 6-8 hours to do a precision tune on a SERT. I also factor in approx. 1 hour of time to go over the procedures and talk to my clients before I start tuning, and whe I'm done to go over thier charts, and explain to them what was done and how it improved thier bike. Additionaly, I provide all of my clients with a USB Flash drive with thier SERT map, ALL of thier dyno files, and a run veiwer. If your dealer won't give you your map file, ask them why, and then point out the licsence agreement on that disc they are running. If you purchased the lease on the disc (no, you don't own it, and neither do they) then the program is yours and yours alone. The best advice I can give you is to ask questions, familiarize yourself with the basics of tuning and find someone who is knowledgeable and reputable to do your work, even if it means loading your bike oa a trailer and taking it to someone outside of your immediate area. Agood tune aint cheap, and a cheap tune aint good, and a cheap crappy tune aint worth a f*#k!

Old 03-24-2007, 11:31 AM
airfuel
Tourer

With a PC and a tech who knows what he is doing with "tuning link" software, a great tune takes about an hour to an hour and a half, both cylinders tuned.

No need for your bike to be on the dyno for hours.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could you enlighten us as to how this "Tuning Link" tuner works for such a complete tune in such a short time?

Old 03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
dynodude
Intermediate

Tuning Link is software that interfaces between a Power Commander and the dyno and auto-tunes the PC based on the AFR readings during testing. It works fine for what it is, but is irrelevant to this thread since the original question regards tuning with a SERT.

Quick Reply: $195 - 1-2hrs for a Good Dyno?????