Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
deeblues
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer

Is there a port on the PC3 USB to attached my handlebar mounted tachometer....Or should I just put the wire from the tach on the coil like the old day??...LOL

Old 03-21-2007, 04:54 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tachometer

I think it depends on the year ofyour bike, but some of the early models have a pink wire up by the neck somewhere that you hook the tach to. On my 05 the wiring diagram doesn't show a wire but it uses terminal 3 on the ECM. I just picked up a tach kit for my bike, but haven't had the chance to install it yet, plus I just filled the tank. so I guess I'll have to run some of the gas out or drain the tank to get the wires under it to the fuse block and the ECM port. Here's a site that deals with the install, http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,173,00.html, hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tachometer

Well I installed the Tach last night and everything went great. I used a kit that Harley made for the Springer, shame they don't make it any more. I used some welding wire to pull the wires thru under the fuel tank and hooked the wires up where they are supposed to go. It had 3 wires, red, black and yellow, I hooked the red to the fuse block for power, the black to the ground bolts in front of the battery and the yellow to terminal #3 of the ECM clip. In all it probibly took about an hour or 2, got to make sure you can turn the bars without pulling the wires or pinching the wires between the fork stops. Fired it up and Bingo!, it worked like a charm. Sometime when the tank is almost empty I'll pull the tank and secure the wires with some ties but for now they were individually covered with tubing and it was tight getting them in there so they should be ok.