Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Recent Dyno tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014 | 06:21 PM
rick2800
|
Tourer
Default Recent Dyno tune ?

I had a dyno tune done at Wildcat harley after I did a 103 kit se255 cams and cnc heads. I expected to see high 80s to 90 hp and around 110 torque. I ended up with 80hp and 103 ftlbs. Not that I really care what the numbers are but that seemed low to me for the add ons. Finally got the bike back after along wait cause they kept finding "bad bearings" in wheels and tranny. I told them ok fix it. Anyway I rode the bike today I have always had vance & hines long shots on this bike with quiet baffles I always liked the sound before well today it had an annoying whistle sound and was way loud. Now they did tell me these pipes hurt hp but the baffles do help some. I get home get a light and look to see if they took the baffles out cause it was so loud. They drilled holes in both for the probe and never plugged the holes now if less back pressure hurts hp wont the holes in the baffles hurt hp as well. They also messed some of the screen up while doing it.

Old 02-19-2014 | 07:09 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rick2800
I had a dyno tune done at Wildcat harley after I did a 103 kit se255 cams and cnc heads. I expected to see high 80s to 90 hp and around 110 torque. I ended up with 80hp and 103 ftlbs. Not that I really care what the numbers are but that seemed low to me for the add ons. Finally got the bike back after along wait cause they kept finding "bad bearings" in wheels and tranny. I told them ok fix it. Anyway I rode the bike today I have always had vance & hines long shots on this bike with quiet baffles I always liked the sound before well today it had an annoying whistle sound and was way loud. Now they did tell me these pipes hurt hp but the baffles do help some. I get home get a light and look to see if they took the baffles out cause it was so loud. They drilled holes in both for the probe and never plugged the holes now if less back pressure hurts hp wont the holes in the baffles hurt hp as well. They also messed some of the screen up while doing it.
Not the best pipes for HP. If they drilled small holes for probes it probably won't hurt the backpressure much...but it may be the source of the whistling.

It's entirely possible that those pipes don't have enough back pressure for your set-up. It would be especially noticeable down low. You may want to think about a better exhaust system to take advantage of the Big Bore kit.

Old 02-19-2014 | 03:06 PM
rick2800
|
Tourer

I have been thinking about other pipes just dont want to have to get another tune. Not sure if I would have too or not. they drilled 1 3/4 hole per baffle.
Originally Posted by nhrider1
Not the best pipes for HP. If they drilled small holes for probes it probably won't hurt the backpressure much...but it may be the source of the whistling.

It's entirely possible that those pipes don't have enough back pressure for your set-up. It would be especially noticeable down low. You may want to think about a better exhaust system to take advantage of the Big Bore kit.

Old 02-19-2014 | 03:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

not the best choice of cams either. they're great down low but fall on their face rather quickly. If you're the "typical" touring guy who is looking for some low end grunt but carry it out further (as in passing power), a better choice would have been the SE204 or the SE254e.

Old 02-19-2014 | 03:34 PM
rick2800
|
Tourer

I looked at the 254 e it looked good but I got a pretty good deal on the kit with the cams. I generally dont ride above 4000 rpm. I think the cams will most likely be ok for me. would I have to retune if i change pipes

Old 02-19-2014 | 03:38 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

depends on the pipes you choose. some are a little more free flowing or restrictive, some are a LOT more free flowing or restrictive.

Have you changed head pipes from stock?

Also you don't mention you specific bike model.

Old 02-19-2014 | 03:41 PM
rick2800
|
Tourer

mine are the big shots solid from the head to the end of the pipe.2007 flhx
Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
depends on the pipes you choose. some are a little more free flowing or restrictive, some are a LOT more free flowing or restrictive.

Have you changed head pipes from stock?

Also you don't mention you specific bike model.

Old 02-19-2014 | 04:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

sorry I didn't catch the pipe comment above.

Before you go off changing anything, I would take it back to them and have them make the pipes right. IMO (could be wrong) but they should not have drilled holes for their sniffer, especially without telling you or asking you ahead of time if it was ok to do so.

Old 02-19-2014 | 04:03 PM
rick2800
|
Tourer

Thats what I was thinking too or atleast plug the holes. sucks though cause they are 2.5 hours away.
Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
sorry I didn't catch the pipe comment above.

Before you go off changing anything, I would take it back to them and have them make the pipes right. IMO (could be wrong) but they should not have drilled holes for their sniffer, especially without telling you or asking you ahead of time if it was ok to do so.

Old 02-20-2014 | 07:16 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rick2800
I have been thinking about other pipes just dont want to have to get another tune. Not sure if I would have too or not. they drilled 1 3/4 hole per baffle.
Those are pretty big holes. Can't be much back pressure with the baffles opened up that much. It has to be hurting performance.

Might be easier to remove the baffles and take them to a welding shop for repair.

Quick Reply: Recent Dyno tune ?