Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuner needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:27 PM
605bob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tuner needed?

Currently got a 08 FXDB with DK air cleaner, cycle shack slip ons, and some XIED's. It seems to run good/fine. I'm looking to install a performance cam myself. (S&S 583 ez start) Would the XIED's be enough for this kind of upgrade? Not looking to get sold the thundermax or any other auto tuner. ($$$) What are my options on budget???

THanks!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,230 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Originally Posted by 605bob
Currently got a 08 FXDB with DK air cleaner, cycle shack slip ons, and some XIED's. It seems to run good/fine. I'm looking to install a performance cam myself. (S&S 583 ez start) Would the XIED's be enough for this kind of upgrade? Not looking to get sold the thundermax or any other auto tuner. ($$$) What are my options on budget???

THanks!
Here is a good overview of popular options-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

THanks!
The answer you seek is...

The xIED's will not work with your stage II build. When you install cams you change the way the bike breaths. The ECM has a preset calibration for your stock cams. This calibration must be reset to conform to your new cams. The main reset is VE's or Volumetric Efficiency. This calculates how much fuel is to be mixed with the % of incoming air. Second is your timing. A device that fools the bike just will not give you the added performance you are looking for.

No need for an auto-tune product. There really isn't such an animal anyway. All tuning products still need the owner and a computer in some way to save data and overwrite a calibration.

However, you will need a flash tuner of some brand to assist you. Without doing it properly you run the risk of damaging your motor.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Easy answer? NO. XIEDs struggle on a stock bike, and for reasons staed by Wiz, will not even come close.

You need a tuner, plain and simple. If the budget doe not allow this? You simply cannot do cams. Think of it this way... would you do cams on a 70s car or an older bike without altering timing and installing bigger jets? Same difference only way more sophisticated.

I, myself, recommend purchasing a TTS, and learn how to use it. Other wise, find a dyno tuning shop (not a dealer) and whatever device they like to use, be it TTS, PV or SEPST... buy that product and let them tune the bike.

A TTS costs around $450. A full on tune (with tuner) is about a grand. NOTHING is easy anymore with the EFI stuff and its either pay or don't play.

Your option budget device would be to buy a PC3 and have it tuned. Totally cheapest way to go would be to buy the PC3 and hope Dynojet has a base map that matches. Install the base map and ride and see. This will work on that 2008 bike. Expect gas mileage to plummet, tho. The FuelMoto micro tuner is a PC3 variant. Also, there should be plenty of used PC3s laying around. I bought a never installed, used, PC5 for the shop. That was $230 to my door.

Do NOT purchase a used 'flash' tuner.. TTS, PV or Sepst. These units marry themselves to a bike and thats that. PC3 and 5, OTOH, do NOT marry and can go from bike to bike.

Flash tuners keep the O2 sensors and there is nothing left on the bike when done. PCs are 'add-ons' and stay on the bike and add a layer into how reliable things are... simply because it is another thing to break at some point. PCs can be disconnected along the side of the road and a bike can be possibly be ridden a short distance to somewhere for help.
PCs do NOT use O2 sensors.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 02-14-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Lee Minske
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanks!
605bob.....contact Chris at Pico's Garage in Sioux Falls. He's a magician and is the only one that'll ever work on my bike ever again. I'm totally impressed and extremely well satisfied with what he did to my bike and how it now performs. Give him a call and tell him what you want and discuss your options with him. You won't be sorry......