Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning Basics Book?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM
ScudRunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Basics Book?

I was wondering if any of the wizards in here had a recommendation for a book to read for the basics of EFI tuning. If there's something specific to Twin Cams, so much the better.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ScudRunner
I was wondering if any of the wizards in here had a recommendation for a book to read for the basics of EFI tuning. If there's something specific to Twin Cams, so much the better.

Thanks,
Jon
Here's a link to a product-specific tuning guide by TTS - it contains some very useful info on the basics of tuning the HD system.

Just click on the Tuning Guide v134 button to open file.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though the tuning is similiar, it's going to be based on which tuner you decide on. There are "sticky's" on this forum that are specific for the most commonly used tuners. There you will find very specific information and those pages also have inputs from some of the best tuners around.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:39 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a few good books. But see how much of this you can digest...

http://www.megamanual.com/begintuning.htm

Here is the deal. In todays auto world, all cars are tuned with a speed density system using a MAF. Mass AirFlow. A MAF actually weighs how much air enters the intake track.

Harley bikes use a speed density system, but does NOT use a MAF. Instead, our system uses a look up table to decide how much air is being used. This table is the VE table. Speed density is called such because it uses a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor to determine the load upon the engine. The higher the MAP the higher the load, the different VE table it looks towards. Three vectors are used here. Throttle position, rpm, and MAP. Autos still use these same three positions, but the VE look up table is a hybrid that uses not only VEs, but actual weight of the incoming air charge.

So, we use Speed density without a MAF. Also good reading would be to get a very basic understanding of older systems. Alpha N is an older tuning system. Alpha N is to two vector system that uses Throttle position and RPM. Alpha N cannot truly tell the actual load being placed upon the engine.

TMax is an Alpha N system, for example.

With the above in mind look for simple How To Tuning Basics books for cars, and remember our bikes are a bit different. Tuning is tuning up to a point, so NO reading, on your part will be wasted. Our bikes also have ION sensing, but save THAT for later. ION sensing is a safety system that folks use to help with timing, but it is NOT the proper tool to use for timing.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 01-26-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the name of a good book right on the tip of my tongue... damn alzheimers!

Here is another decent website to peruse for cars. http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tuning.html

I am googling around trying to find a book or two I have read in the past, for you. Might not have luck at that today.

Old EFILive discussion on MAF-vs- straight VE tables. http://forum.efilive.com/archive/index.php/t-1773.html

Screw Alzheimers... Here is the book I would suggest you read to gain a start....
Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems: Greg Banish: 9781932494907: Amazon.com: Books Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems: Greg Banish: 9781932494907: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by wurk_truk; 01-26-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM
ScudRunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Pine and Wurk!