Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision ? For Non 02 sensor bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Default Power Vision ? For Non 02 sensor bikes

Does the PV work just as good for older bikes with out 02 sensors ? I like that it flashes to the ECM , with no piggy back module. But can I get to use most of it's abilities with out the wide band sensors. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to us auto tune.

I have a 05 deuce SE AC & pipes and just added andrews tw21 cams.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 01-24-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You would need the Wide Band kit and then... yes, the PV could tune your bike. Without the wide band kit? You would still need some way to sample the exhaust and build your VE tables. A DTT Twin Scan + Kit comes to mind as a tool to use in conjunction with the PV on a 2005 bike.

NO tuner will help on an 05 bike unless one either converts to an 07 system and uses a TTS. TTS manual states what parts are needed as the 05 ECM is the same as the 07 ECM and all you would be doing is adding the O2 sensors to the bike. Really quite simple, or... buys or borrows a way to sample the exhaust. Since you mention the PV, buying the PV Wide Band kit is a no brainer as it is all integrated together.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
You would need the Wide Band kit and then... yes, the PV could tune your bike. Without the wide band kit? You would still need some way to sample the exhaust and build your VE tables. A DTT Twin Scan + Kit comes to mind as a tool to use in conjunction with the PV on a 2005 bike.

NO tuner will help on an 05 bike unless one either converts to an 07 system and uses a TTS. TTS manual states what parts are needed as the 05 ECM is the same as the 07 ECM and all you would be doing is adding the O2 sensors to the bike. Really quite simple, or... buys or borrows a way to sample the exhaust. Since you mention the PV, buying the PV Wide Band kit is a no brainer as it is all integrated together.
Yes but with out the 02 sensors , can't I just us the fixed down loads for a tune ?
And still make my own changes to fine tune it.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

not really. One needs some actual info to base decisions upon.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
not really. One needs some actual info to base decisions upon.
Exactly! You need what is known as a 'feedback loop'. These things come with a 'base map', in other words a rough starting point, which may be very close or a long way off. Your bike may run OK or not very well at all. It may be possible to use trial and error to improve things, but that is just old fashioned backyard tuning!

A dyno will give the essential feedback, because it uses external sensors to measure exhaust and tell the operator what is going on. He can optimise fuel and ignition settings, but also engine performance. While O2 sensors give fuelling feedback, they don't give performance feedback, which is why a dyno is a better way of optimising a tune.