Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Wierd Sttarting problem this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,495 Likes on 548 Posts
Default Wierd Sttarting problem this morning

It was 32 or so, battery is 3 months old. never a problem and it sits on a tender but this morning it wouldnt crank. Cranked very slowly, head light dimmed then solenoid clicked.
Tried 3-4 times, no luck. Just slow cranking, then click-Click-Click.
So I went inside to change out of my gear, went back out to try one more time and it spinned up normal and fired right up and ran great into work.

I will check all the connections this weekend but heres my question.
I had the bike in neutral but I cant remember if I was also pulling in the clutch when it wouldnt crank but I'm sure I was pulling in the clutch when it started.
If the bike is in neutral but clutch engaged am I still spinning the gearbox. I'm wondering in the cold gearbox oil was loading me down ?
Thanks

Old 01-17-2014, 12:03 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 773 Posts

With a cold clutch the oil in the primary is thick and sticky and this can keep the plates from separating when you pull in the lever. Extra load in the starter, so depending on how cold it is that can happen. With the bike in gear (engine off) and the clutch pulled in try rolling it back and forth a few times to break the plates loose. This used to work for me but maybe someone else has another way.
You said you checked the battery hook ups but the ground connection is often overlooked, so take a look at that.

Last edited by nevil; 01-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:57 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it does it again, unplug that fueler and try again. NOT saying yours is bad or anything... but it is SOP whenever a bike has an add on tuning device.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:22 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,495 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
If it does it again, unplug that fueler and try again. NOT saying yours is bad or anything... but it is SOP whenever a bike has an add on tuning device.
I see how this could be an issue if it was cranking over but not firing but this was cranking very slowly then just click of the solenoid. It cranked good and started right up this afternoon with the battery voltage only dropping to 9.5 -10v while cranking. As suggested I'll check all the connections this weekend.
Nevil- Thats a good idea, Thanks