Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Horn Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
1harley 1vette
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Won't Work

I have a 2001 Fatboy FLSTI.
The horn wont work and it's kicking my butt. Here is what I have done. If I leave the ground on the horn and apply 12v straight from the battery to the other side of the horn it works. (Proven good ground, right?)
When I push the horn button I measure 12v between the 2 wires (Positive and Ground) that attach to the horn. (Proven good switch right?)
When I connect the leads back to the horn I DO NOT get 12v reading any more. It reads 0V when I push the button. What the heck am I missing here? Is it possibly a bad horn anyway. Does the voltage drop to 0v because of some sort of relay that I'm missing. I'm at a loss. ALL the other lights work. Left and right turn signals. Low\High beam. Hazards, rear brake light. ignition On\Off and Stop\Run.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by 1harley 1vette; 01-13-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 1harley 1vette
The horn wont work and it's kicking my butt. Here is what I have done. If I leave the ground on the horn and apply 12v straight from the battery to the other side of the horn it works. (Proven good ground, right?)
When I push the horn button I measure 12v between the 2 wires (Positive and Ground) that attach to the horn. (Proven good switch right?)
When I connect the leads back to the horn I DO NOT get 12v reading any more. It reads 0V when I push the button. What the heck am I missing here? Is it possibly a bad horn anyway. Does the voltage drop to 0v because of some sort of relay that I'm missing. I'm at a loss. ALL the other lights work. Left and right turn signals. Low\High beam. Hazards, rear brake light. ignition On\Off and Stop\Run.

Sounds like the horn is either open or shorted internally (bad horn).
Rreplace or substitute another horn to verify.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
1harley 1vette
Stage IV

Thanks for the reply. I bought a new horn tonight. Still doesn't work. I have the maint manual but I'm going to try to find the electrical manual # 99495-01

Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,023 Posts

When I connect the leads back to the horn I DO NOT get 12v reading any more. It reads 0V when I push the button. What the heck am I missing here? Is it possibly a bad horn anyway.
A voltmeter will read the voltage difference between the positive probe and the negative probe.

When you connect a voltmeter across an opening in the circuit (such as the disconnected wires from the horn) it sees 12 volts on one side (the wire going to the switch) and 0 volts at the ground side, so the meter will show 12 volts.

When you connect the voltmeter to the two wires when they are connected to the horn (and the horn button is pressed), there are 12 volts on both wires, because the circuit is complete. The voltmeter will read 0.

Make sure the connector terminals on the horn and the wires are in good condition, because it sounds like everything is working correctly...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-13-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Positive (switch) has not been tested for AMPS if i read this correctly.
A weak positive connection would carry volts but very little amps and when the horn button is pressed with horn installed you would read "0" , and get no noise.
Switch might be bad or dirty contacts.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,023 Posts

I am in agreement with im, since you know the horn works when it gets 12volts, and the ground is good, it is probably the switch not making good enough contact to supply sufficent current to the horn, or a bad connection at one of the connector plugs.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 AM
1harley 1vette
Stage IV

Thanks Guys. "IM" I only tested the switch for volts. Not Amps. Do you know how many amps it should read? I am going to dig a little further tonight and see if I can short the wires up at the switch. Unfortunatly it is sealed so I'll have to dig into the wires to short them. Any good ideas on how to do that without too much damage to the wires?
Thanks again for everybodies help!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:32 PM
1harley 1vette
Stage IV

I got it guys. I took the switch housing apart and shorted the 2 wires with sewing needles. I stuck them into the the sheathing and shorted the needles. Horn worked so it was a bad switch. Like my Dad always said, "If it's broke, don't be afraid to take it apart. The only thing you can do is fix it. It's already broke." So I took the switch apart and forced the wires back into the sealed unit. Don't know how long it will last but at least I can pass the safety inspection now. Also if it happens again, I know right where to look. Thanks for everybodies help. I really appreciate it.