Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Buying first bike - Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM
jkp2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying first bike - Tuner Question

Been lurking for a while.. This is my first post. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first ever Harley... It's a 2011 Street Glide with the 103 Power Pack and I have a question, to put my mind at ease more than anything. The bike has about 8k miles on it, the guy upgraded to a D&D Fatcat 2-1 exhaust and stage one intake at around 500 miles. He didn't however add a tuner and the bike has been run until now without one. Said he had it dyno'd and air/fuel mixtures were fine (didn't ask where this was done). My question is: is there anything I should be worried about here? I do plan to add a PC V if I buy the bike.

Anything else I should look for before buying? It's the middle of winter so test riding is out, he did start it up and it sounded fine but honestly as little experience as I have with Harley's not sure I could tell otherwise.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum.
I don't understand how the bike was dynoed and it doesn't have a tuner. Something's missing here. Try to get the printout from the dyno session.
Your best bet is to pay a tech to look over your bike before you buy it. Find an indie with a good rep and make arrangements to get the bike to him. It can't cost all that much and is money well spent.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM
jkp2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum.
I don't understand how the bike was dynoed and it doesn't have a tuner. Something's missing here. Try to get the printout from the dyno session.
Your best bet is to pay a tech to look over your bike before you buy it. Find an indie with a good rep and make arrangements to get the bike to him. It can't cost all that much and is money well spent.
Thanks for the response.

I will see if i can get the dyno sheet. He mentioned the horsepower numbers to me but I guess you are right about how the air/fuel ratios were determined? I don't believe the seller is trying to slide anything by me, everything seems legitimate. I will have to look into having a tech check it out but location makes it difficult (nearest dealer almost 3 hours away) I know there are a lot of opinions about tuners and when they are required so didn't know if anyone had an experience similar. Even if the bike ran way lean, could it cause damage in that amount of miles? The chrome on the pipes appears to look new, no signs of overheating.

Thanks again

Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Hard to say if anything was harmed since you don't know how rich or lean it was run. Probably not, but that's a good reason to get it checked out. If the dealer is 3 hours away try to find a local independent shop. Preferably someone who knows HD, but any experienced tech can look for signs of abuse, damage or neglect, condition of spark plugs, fluids, brakes and tires.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
...I don't understand how the bike was dynoed and it doesn't have a tuner...
Like so many others things in the tuning world, one must be very careful about the definition of many terms. Your understanding of have a dyno done might be completely different from someone else.

In this case (and, unfortunately many like it) the "dyno" may have been nothing more then gathering basic hp/tq/afr data, printing it out, and handing it to the owner for a few dollars.