Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Throttle is sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM
dellagratti
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle is sticking

Today I replaced the lower switch housing on throttle side which required the removal of the throttle cables from handgrip. I replaced everything to its proper place, but now when I give it gas at the throttle it doesn't return to its neutral position, I have to manually do it. Any ideas on what the cause is and the fix is?

It's on a 2001 Fatboy FLSTF

Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dellagratti
Today I replaced the lower switch housing on throttle side which required the removal of the throttle cables from handgrip. I replaced everything to its proper place, but now when I give it gas at the throttle it doesn't return to its neutral position, I have to manually do it. Any ideas on what the cause is and the fix is?

It's on a 2001 Fatboy FLSTF
Did you check the (star shaped) throttle lock underneath the switch housing? Maybe it's screwed in too tight. Otherwise make sure the grip itself isn't rubbing on the end of the handlebar. The next thing would be to adjust both cables per service manual. If you don't have a service manual, well, get one.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

It just a matter of adjusting the cables properly at the grip.

Two cables, one is the throttle cable and the other is the idle cable.

Turn the wheel all the way to the right. Roll the throttle open and it will stick really bad. Loosen and back off the idle cable until the twist grip snaps back.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You may not be surprised that we get a steady trickle of questions like this. You worked on something and now that same thing doesn't work! The first course of action is to carefully dismantle everything you just put back together and check that it is correct. Leave the screws loose once rebuilt and check to see if the twistgrip moves freely. Only tighten up when all is well. Don't alter anything this time that you didn't disturb last time.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
It just a matter of adjusting the cables properly at the grip.

Two cables, one is the throttle cable and the other is the idle cable.

Turn the wheel all the way to the right. Roll the throttle open and it will stick really bad. Loosen and back off the idle cable until the twist grip snaps back.