Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Lack of PCIII User Manual Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lack of PCIII User Manual Info

I've got my PCIIIUSB installed, and have muddled through loading the new map into the unit, but seems to me the Dynojet folks could do a lot more in publishing a user manual for this thing. I went through the online tutorials and FAQ's to learn what I could, but still seems to be more learn by doing than learn before doing.

One mistake I made today, from reading here on the forum, is that I set the throttle position before letting the engine warm up. Why doesn't Dynojet say that somewhere, or do they and I just missed it?

Also, I powered up the bike without the motor running, and couldn't get anything to come up on my laptop. Finally figured out I should power up with the 9V battery. I didn't realize that was for powering up on the bike. Why doesn't Dynojet provide this info?

I sent an e-mail to Dynojet and they said the online tutorials were basically all they had to offer on how to use the software and how to hook up the PCIII to program. It's okay, but to me could be much better. The instructions to install were okay, so why not have some instructions on how to use it?

Maybe I'm just missing something, but seems they have a good product, and with a little more info we could use it better.

Just venting here. Am I missing something?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:34 AM
nada1
Advanced
Default RE: Lack of PCIII User Manual Info

Nope...you are right on...BUT...I did have it pointed out to me also, that in the online video on how to set the throttle position, the second animation balloon that pops up tells you to connect the computer and then warm the bike up....Thank God for Fuel Moto

Old 03-13-2007, 12:46 AM
deeblues
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.......Now that I have my pc111 installed in my 07 Bob I understand that you have to have the bike running to send a map....
My unit is secure with the USB port facing front..It's velcro attached to the bottom of the ECM.....How hard is it to attach the 9volt battery to the pc111 and where the hell does it plug in????

[IMG]local://upfiles/23685/CF6532E9A83E4E43A78B2E1578E6046B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2007, 01:11 AM
nada1
Advanced

It just plugs in on the same side as where the USB connector is, you need to have the adaptor that came with it, then it just plugs in, yours still may have the plug in it so covering the plug,so it may not be standing out at ya

Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, mine's a little different since it's installed on a 2000 FLHTCI, and yours is an 07 Bob. My PCIII mounts on the left side of the battery box by the fuse block. The USB port and power connector for the 9V battery are located on the top of the PCIII. If yours is like mine you can't miss it -- only ports on the thing. I did have to have the 9V battery connected to download the map it came with and upload my new map for my configuration. Seemed to work okay, and the bike started and ran a couple of minutes without a problem. Would have taken it out for a ride, but waiting for my seat to come back from Allen at MeanCityCycles. Should get it Wednesday, so will try it out then. Real test will be after it warms up. Of course, then I will need to reset the throttle zero and WO settings now that I know it has to be warm.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

I've got my PCIIIUSB installed, and have muddled through loading the new map into the unit, but seems to me the Dynojet folks could do a lot more in publishing a user manual for this thing. I went through the online tutorials and FAQ's to learn what I could, but still seems to be more learn by doing than learn before doing.
I had the same first impression, and have learned to use the PCIII by OJT more than consulting the limited manual or tutorials. For example, I still don't know what "Get Table" and "Send Table" mean.

One mistake I made today, from reading here on the forum, is that I set the throttle position before letting the engine warm up. Why doesn't Dynojet say that somewhere, or do they and I just missed it?
It's not in the manual in the section for setting zero and 100% throttle, but mentions it on P.3: "At idle (when the bike is at full operating temperature) the '% Throttle' value should read '0.'”

Also, I powered up the bike without the motor running, and couldn't get anything to come up on my laptop. Finally figured out I should power up with the 9V battery. I didn't realize that was for powering up on the bike. Why doesn't Dynojet provide this info?
Good question.

Here's another tidbit not in the manual or tutorials. You can select large blocks by using the standard Windows method (Shift+arrow or Shift+pgup/down) to change all of them with one keystroke. E.g., if you want to change a series of blocks to "2", select all blocks and hit the "2" key.

I would also like some info on using the manual controls on the PCIII. I think when you push a given button the display moves up, giving a richer mixture, but how much per graduation? How do these notches translate to the numbers in the tables? When you want to decrease the value, or lean the mixture, you hold the button for a few seconds, then press it to move the LED lights down. I haven't tried this, but I think that's the way it works. Anyone have some experience with this? If I do my best at tuning the bike here at sea level and take a trip to CO, UT, AZ, and NM (which I plan on doing in May), if I get unexpected detonation from a too-lean mixture it'd be nice to be able to do some field-expedient tuning in a pinch. Without a computer and without the buttons you're screwed.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding connecting the 9v battery. This option is only for when your PCIII is not connected to your bike. If the PCIII is connected to your bike, simply start the bike the PCIII will power up and you can interface to the unit via the computer. There is no need to hook up the 9v when you have the bike's battery to do the work. In the short time that your bike will runbetween sending maps, there will not be any harm. If you took your bike to a dyno tuner, they would not hook up the 9v at all...

Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

Hello iclick,

The “get table” function will retrieve or show you the map that is currently loaded on the
PC III while the bike is running. The “send table” function will send the map that you currently have displayed on your Laptop to the PC III, while the bike is running. If you want to fine tune the map currently loaded on the PC III you can retrieve the currently loaded map, alter or tweak the map and send the altered map to the PC III. I installed a usb cable on the PC III and routed the cable to the fuse panel. If I want to make a quick adjustment I can just pull off the panel cover and connect the laptop, start the bike and let it idle, retrieve the map with “get map” make whatever map changes want, send the corrected map to the PC III. with “send map “ then disconnect the laptop put the fuse panel cover on and be ready to ride.
Also with the PC III installed on the bike why would you need the 9v. battery? When the bike is running the PC III is powered up. You would only need to connect to the PC III with a laptop while the bike is idling to make changes to the map.

Zyklon

Old 03-13-2007, 05:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zyklon

Hello iclick,

The “get table” function will retrieve or show you the map that is currently loaded on the
PC III while the bike is running. The “send table” function will send the map that you currently have displayed on your Laptop to the PC III, while the bike is running. If you want to fine tune the map currently loaded on the PC III you can retrieve the currently loaded map, alter or tweak the map and send the altered map to the PC III. I installed a usb cable on the PC III and routed the cable to the fuse panel. If I want to make a quick adjustment I can just pull off the panel cover and connect the laptop, start the bike and let it idle, retrieve the map with “get map” make whatever map changes want, send the corrected map to the PC III. with “send map “ then disconnect the laptop put the fuse panel cover on and be ready to ride.

I've been doing that through the "Get Map" and "Send Map" options, so what is the difference between these and "Get Table" and "Send Table"? Maybe it is just that table, like the A/F you're looking at and not both tables (A/F and ignition timing), the latter constituting a "map." I'm just guessing here.

Also with the PC III installed on the bike why would you need the 9v. battery? When the bike is running the PC III is powered up. You would only need to connect to the PC III with a laptop while the bike is idling to make changes to the map.

I've used the 9V battery with the PCIII on the bike when I don't want to crank up the bike. It works fine that way.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

Ok, iclick

My error, At the start of my previous post I should have said “Get map / Send map” when retrieving or sending a map. As for “ Get table / Send table” When you are working with an advanced map showing separate fuel tables for the front cylinder and back cylinder. You use the get table function to retrieve the fuel table that you wish to alter, front or back cylinder, and then use the send table to send the corrected table back to the PC IIIs fuel map.
If you are using separate ignition tables for the front and back cylinder the Get table / Send table is used in the same manner to alter the ignition table on the cylinder of choice.

Zyklon

Quick Reply: Lack of PCIII User Manual Info