Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Central Florida Dyno Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
jimfount00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Central Florida Dyno Tuner

Good day everyone...

After buying my 2012 FLHX a little over a year ago I had my Harley Dealer put on my Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, Vance & Hines Power Duals and Vance & Hines Slash Cut mufflers. I was asking which tuner I should use and they recommended the Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner. (The newest version)

I thought well if they dealer recommends it, it must be the best for the bike. I was a little uncertain on what to do with a fuel injected bike. My last two harleys were carbureted.

After running the bike for about a year now with 78 HP and 95 ft lbs TQ I was pleased. I didn't have anything to compare to since this was my first 103" bike. My last bike was a 98 Road King. I thought all was good but I was always a little concerned with only getting about 38 MPG running on cruise control at 70 MPH in 6th gear at about 26-2700 RPM. I was hearing about guys getting over 40 MPG running at about 3000 RPM or 80 MPH.

Finally I found a tuner in Central Florida that wasn't attached to a dealer and that would tune with the Race Tuner (although they prefer Power Commander).

He set up the bike and showed me the map the Dealer installed. It was a standard map which led both of us to believe they didn't actually "tune" the bike but just put in a map and ran on 4th gear to show me the results.

The A/F ratio was running VERY rich at around 10:1 - 11:1. (Not sure if I'm reading it correctly) The tuner told me with this set up, it should be running right along the dotted line or 13(ish):1.

After spending many hours on the bike I am pleased to say that Horst Power Performance was able to actually give me not only better gas mileage but increased the HP to 80.96 and the torque to 100.02.

I am still on my first tank of gas since the tune about a week ago (traveling for work too much) but according to the current mileage and remaining fuel I should be between 42 and 43 MPG running between 70 and 80 MPH on the highway with normal suburban driving mixed in there.

So, for anyone looking for a good tuner in Central Florida (Oveido) I would happily recommend Les and Marni Horst from Horst Power Performance. They own a very nice dyno trailer and travel quite a bit to different shows around the US. They are based out of Oveido though so its easy to call them and set something up.

Les Horst is a certified Dyno tech and trainer. He used to teach at MMI as well.

Thanks guys for making the ride more pleasurable.

Last edited by jimfount00; 12-16-2015 at 03:58 PM.