Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

a newbee question about SESPT

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wurktruk that is the best explaination of flash tuners that I've read. Based on this and other research that I've done, is it fair to say all the flash tuners you mention alter fuel delivery AND spark timing? If so the tune is better because it should obtain the most power availble from the engine. So is this obviously a better way to go if the owner doesn't have plans on getting another bike soon. Is it also a fact that the tuners that plug in AFTER the ECU (PCV, etc) ONLY effect fuel delivery (injector pulse timing)?
What I'm getting at...
In my case, TC88 with slip-ons, and SE Intake (less restrictive exhaust and intake) with a dealer installed new-bike flash, the easy solution is to throw more fuel into the motor, period. Hence the $300 plug & play tuners with the canned tune (PCV, etc,) shine. This seems to be make a huge difference with an almost stock motor like I have. BUT... there seems to be a common complaint about fuel economy going to hell. So...would it be more cost effective for the layman to go to their dealer purchase the SEPST for $500+ installed on his bike? This is assuming the dealer will install a flash that gets the most power from the bike at the best fuel economy.
Is this all correct or am I talking out of my butt??

Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

harleytuner and wurk truk thanks for the heads up regarding the pro tuner and the advantages. I didn't know it was an option. However, in the catalog chart associated with the pro and street tuner it shows a big "NO" regarding the pro tuner "retain full engine warranty". Here's the page. Picking up new SGS tomorrow and losing the warranty on the engine scares me. Any thoughts?

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/f935f2bd/28

Old 11-01-2013, 03:07 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

Have the dealer install it and exhaust work ect BEFORE delivery and its covered. I had my stg one air cleaner, mufflers and stg 1 download done BEFORE i took delivery of my bike in '11 and they were covered under warranty because they were installed by dealer before i took delivery of my bike. Just an option if your worried about your warranty.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
harleytuner and wurk truk thanks for the heads up regarding the pro tuner and the advantages. I didn't know it was an option. However, in the catalog chart associated with the pro and street tuner it shows a big "NO" regarding the pro tuner "retain full engine warranty". Here's the page. Picking up new SGS tomorrow and losing the warranty on the engine scares me. Any thoughts?

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/f935f2bd/28

Any performance grades you do will void the warranty. Even putting SE parts on it. In other words, you can do an exhaust and an air filter and use the Street Tuner and they can deny warranty because of the exhaust and A/C. Most dealers will cover your bike under warranty regardless of the upgrades as long as they do the work. If you are really concerned about the warranty I would suggest you talk to your dealer before doing any upgrades to see how they will deal with any issues that might be covered under warranty. Do a search on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it basically says that a company, in this case HD, would have to prove that your after market parts caused a failure for them not to cover you under warranty. So if you do engine work they can't deny a warranty claim on a radio. If you put an exhaust on they can't deny you a claim on your cam tensioners etc. Most dealers will work with you if you have issues and have after market stuff on your bike. They need the work.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Any performance grades you do will void the warranty. Even putting SE parts on it. In other words, you can do an exhaust and an air filter and use the Street Tuner and they can deny warranty because of the exhaust and A/C. Most dealers will cover your bike under warranty regardless of the upgrades as long as they do the work. If you are really concerned about the warranty I would suggest you talk to your dealer before doing any upgrades to see how they will deal with any issues that might be covered under warranty. Do a search on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it basically says that a company, in this case HD, would have to prove that your after market parts caused a failure for them not to cover you under warranty. So if you do engine work they can't deny a warranty claim on a radio. If you put an exhaust on they can't deny you a claim on your cam tensioners etc. Most dealers will work with you if you have issues and have after market stuff on your bike. They need the work.
Went with the Pro tuner and the dealer said exactly what you said about the dealer working with you. However, they did say if it were an issue that H-D corporate became involved in, then "all bets were off".

I'm sure the same situation existed back in Sep 08 when I went with the SEST on my new 09 SG. I had heard then that it voided your engine warranty but the difference between then and now is now I actually saw it in black and white.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
Went with the Pro tuner and the dealer said exactly what you said about the dealer working with you. However, they did say if it were an issue that H-D corporate became involved in, then "all bets were off".

I'm sure the same situation existed back in Sep 08 when I went with the SEST on my new 09 SG. I had heard then that it voided your engine warranty but the difference between then and now is now I actually saw it in black and white.
I used to wrench at a dealer, it's always been that way. If we had a customer in your situation with an issue and corporate had to get involved, we just threw a bunch of stock parts on the lift when they came and set the aftermarket parts aside. Never had an issue.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Installation of Screamin’ Eagle® products, and similar
off-road or competition products from other manufacturers,
except some street-legal offerings installed
by authorized Harley® dealers, may void your H-D®
limited vehicle warranty. Installation of a California
performance kit on a 49-state model motorcycle or
a 49-state performance kit onto a California model
motorcycle will void manufacturer’s warranty, as it
will not result in a street-legal confi guration.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I used to wrench at a dealer, it's always been that way. If we had a customer in your situation with an issue and corporate had to get involved, we just threw a bunch of stock parts on the lift when they came and set the aftermarket parts aside. Never had an issue.
why are all the good people up north?

you wrenching on your own now HT?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:31 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
why are all the good people up north?

you wrenching on your own now HT?
The dealer I worked at closed in early 2009, I went to work for Roeder Racing at that time and was there up until about a month ago. My wife and I are relocating to Richmond Virginia (she's actually already living there, i'll be moving when I get the house sold). I havn't decided if I will try to seek work at a shop (indy) when I get there or if i'll just take the plunge and buy a dyno and start my own thing.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:24 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn Chad. I will be REALLY sorry to see you go. You ARE one of the good guys!

Quick Reply: a newbee question about SESPT