Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 12:57 PM
Sethjamto
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking for some thoughts while I wait for TM to get back to me.

2022 Road Glide ST with Thundermax and FM RTX 2-1. Been auto tuning for about 1500 miles and runs great. Randomly, cold or hot, she won't start. The fuel pump primes and it turns over easily, but it's like there is no spark and it won't kick over at all. A quick cycle of the ignition switch and it fires right off normally. Firmware is current and up to date. Everything else is great.

I submitted a support ticket to TM through the software with a log of the tune and bike and am waiting to hear back from them.

Anyone else see this happen before?

Old 08-23-2022, 01:53 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Have you adjusted the Cranking Fuel yet?

Old 08-28-2022, 02:39 PM
Sethjamto
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethjamto
Looking for some thoughts while I wait for TM to get back to me.

2022 Road Glide ST with Thundermax and FM RTX 2-1. Been auto tuning for about 1500 miles and runs great. Randomly, cold or hot, she won't start. The fuel pump primes and it turns over easily, but it's like there is no spark and it won't kick over at all. A quick cycle of the ignition switch and it fires right off normally. Firmware is current and up to date. Everything else is great.

I submitted a support ticket to TM through the software with a log of the tune and bike and am waiting to hear back from them.

Anyone else see this happen before?
Forgot to post back. TM got back to me and send me a different firmware to run. I installed it a couple days ago and it ran great yesterday on a 400 mile trip with several stops and it started normally each time. I have a 3500 mile trip coming up later this week which will really let me know if it was fixed.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sethjamto:
Jay Guild (08-29-2022), Max Headflow (08-28-2022), porkster (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 06:53 PM
porkster
Club Member
Received 200 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethjamto
Forgot to post back. TM got back to me and send me a different firmware to run. I installed it a couple days ago and it ran great yesterday on a 400 mile trip with several stops and it started normally each time. I have a 3500 mile trip coming up later this week which will really let me know if it was fixed.
Did they happen to mention what the issue was? Asking because I just purchased one for my 2022 Street Glide because I bricked my OEM ECU.

Thanks,
Dan.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:46 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 534 Likes on 304 Posts

If a guy buys a ThunderMax and has it pre-mapped
And also has the dealer put in the Vin.
When he receives the thundermax
Can he then just do the initialization with the ignition
after it’s hooked up with out hooking up to computer?
I’m interested in one of these tuners but not really setup
with internet in my area.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,008 Likes on 4,061 Posts

Only if you dance 3 times around the bike, shaking a dead chicken..

Otherwise, you don't need the internet or a dealer.. You do need a laptop or computer tho.

The following users liked this post:
porkster (07-30-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 12:52 PM
Stewman757
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Powervision

Has anyone used a powervision to load a base tu e into there thundermax?

Old 08-20-2023, 12:58 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,008 Likes on 4,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewman757
Has anyone used a powervision to load a base tu e into there thundermax?
Can't be done. PV is speed density. Tmax is Alpha-N.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:46 PM
dfixit1
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 122 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by buell95
If a guy buys a ThunderMax and has it pre-mapped
And also has the dealer put in the Vin.
When he receives the thundermax
Can he then just do the initialization with the ignition
after it’s hooked up with out hooking up to computer?
I’m interested in one of these tuners but not really setup
with internet in my area.
If you get the T-Max and it is pretuned as close as possible to your bike and mods. you have made, Then just MAKE SURE they preset it into the Auto-tune mode. If you buy it from ThunderMax things should go smoothly. I'd call the up frist just to verify all I'm telling you. You can run it that way for a goodly bit of time. That's even better because the auto-tune will keep learning your driving habits and make incramental adjustments over time. You could run that way a while then find a computer you can use at some point. The owner of the computer you wind up using will have to allow you to install the T-max program. You can down load that info. to T-Max and they wil have a tech look it over and you also have a comment section to send along your experience, any things you may notice that needs attention. The one issue I had some months in was the throttle felt "jerky" I sent the info in to them, they looked it over and made a few small adjustments to the timming and all better. I really like their techs and since they make their own equipment owh would know better how to get it the way you want it.
I wanted a goodly bump in power, so with my cams the T-Max and other mods. I got it! Just be careful of what you wish for I went from stock MPG appx, 47 down to appx. 38-39 that all varies a bit depending on the type of roads I'm on and the twist ratio on the go lever.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:26 AM
porkster
Club Member
Received 200 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Timing Tables

Need help understanding the timing tables. I understand that the Timing vs Engine speed is pretty much WOT, but the timing vs TPS isn’t even close if you compare it to say a TTS timing table as far as advance.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by porkster; 10-21-2023 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread