Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Mikael Rajamaki
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, will check that out

Old 09-02-2020, 11:46 AM
Mikael Rajamaki
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I have changed the front mount and the same crazy shaking at 1400rpm.
Anyone know how to adjust top stabilization bar?

Old 10-23-2020, 03:35 PM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I pulled the trigger and ordered my TMax today. I hope it arrives next week. My bike is a 2006 Fatboy CVO. 103. V&H Big Radius 2 into 2. Everything else is pretty much factory. It has a Power Commander III USB now, and the bike runs ok, but I'm looking forward to tweaking. I ordered from Cycle Solutions and sent my bike details, so hopefully they can ship the box with a good starting map already downloaded to the tuner.

More updates after I get it and install it.

Pretty excited.
Michael

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:59 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,892 Likes on 849 Posts

I think you'll like it a lot. For many, having one-tune-fits-all is good enough, but there are those who prefer the adjustability and tunability of the T-Max. I installed mine a few weeks ago, and it works great. I picked a tune but they likely have one that suits pretty well.

I like to tinker like you, and started moving the A/F ratios around before the T-Max even had a chance to make any adjustments. I'd suggest not doing that. I've moved pretty much all the A/F ratios back to their settings and allowed it to make the adjustments first, according to what the 02s tell it. Let it work. I've found the best punch at the twist of the throttle by tweaking the timing a bit. Start with the Timing vs. Engine RPM first. It changes the timing across the board in each RPM range, Then, if you have some pinging at a certain RPM and throttle setting, you can pull timing at that spot, and leave the rest of the timing alone.

But first. allow the T-Max to do what it was designed to do, adjust to YOUR bike. The most fun way to do that is to put some miles on the bike.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:48 AM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser

Yeah. I'm looking forward to getting it. The power Commander has the bike running ok, but it really fills the under seat area. And I think the TMax will be better when I start to mod the bike. They are sending the unit already flashed with a map, so they told me I can bolt it on, do the initialization with the IAC, and jump right on and go for a ride.

I think I will be going to a 2 into 1 pipe eventually and hopefully some new cams after that.

I just hope for the success you had. I read many stories about problems with the unit. I'm hoping for the best.

Michael

Old 10-27-2020, 07:16 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Let us know your experience with it.

Just be sure to put a few miles on it and do an autotune to get a good base map for your bike. Then, start from there. I think you'll like it.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:30 PM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser

Install day!

They sent it mapped. Install went okay. Hardest part was removing the O2 sensor plugs. Wasn't happening. Wound up removing the pipes, taking them to a weld shop. He had to weld a bolt to the plug and finally got it out with an impact wrench.

Other than that, the front wiring could not be run as per the directions, but I got it done. Did the IAC initialization and she started right up. Never even hooked up to my laptop, just went for a ride.

Initial impressions: I also installed V&H Quiet Baffles and the bike definitely sounds better. Not a lot quieter, but the tone isn't so BRAAAAAPish. A smoother tone. The idle is lower and sounds better and when rolling on the throttle, there is no hiccup, or pause, the power seems to be right there.

So far, at last after just one ride, I'm very happy with the way she runs and no complaints so far.

Michael

Old 11-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Excellent!

I know that for many, a good tuner can get a bike's tune quite close. I ride everything from sea level to mountainous, so being able to adjust on the fly is a big help. I've learned a few things about the Thunder Max in the short time I've been with it. The main thing is to ride it and get it to adjust to YOUR bike first. It'll adjust the tune to get the proper (called for) A/F ratio with your set up. Then, you can start tweaking.

I'm a tinkerer like many, but, I've also found that making adjustments for the sake of tinkering isn't always optimal. Once you get the T-Max autotuned, then you can start making small tweaks. The best thing I've found is to identify an area you feel needs some work, such as cruise A/F, tip-in lean hesitation, or whatever. Then work on that one area. Making many changes will have you chasing your tail in no time.

Most of my driving is done just feathering the throttle, just off idle, and I had a lean dead-spot immediately off idle. I richened up that area immediately off idle (only one or two dots on the right of the idle line, and it helped considerably. When you give it a little throttle going into a turn expecting the power to come on, but it falls on its face for a second, can be a little disconcerting!

Once you get an idea of how the mapping is laid out, it begins to make sense. It's a little different from what I was used to since it doesn't use a MAP sensor for our bikes (2006), and if you look at the A/F around the low-throttle settings of the first few, lower RPM maps, you'll notice there are some drastic changes to the A/F ratio from idle to low-rpm driving. Some folks have put their settings into EXCEL programs to see how they look on a graph, and then adjust them by smothing them out. I've heard this helps blend everything together. I've not tried it, but can see how it would help. I think this forum has an old thread about it. I'll post if I can find it again.

Have fun with the Thunder Max. I think it's a great addition to these earlier EFI'd bikes. Especially if your exhaust already has the necessary bungs. So long as you can get the plugs out!

Last edited by Tcrafty; 11-01-2020 at 06:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dafrisco (11-01-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:19 AM
JohnA.
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynalmadman
Install day!

They sent it mapped. Install went okay. Hardest part was removing the O2 sensor plugs. Wasn't happening. Wound up removing the pipes, taking them to a weld shop. He had to weld a bolt to the plug and finally got it out with an impact wrench.

Other than that, the front wiring could not be run as per the directions, but I got it done. Did the IAC initialization and she started right up. Never even hooked up to my laptop, just went for a ride.

Initial impressions: I also installed V&H Quiet Baffles and the bike definitely sounds better. Not a lot quieter, but the tone isn't so BRAAAAAPish. A smoother tone. The idle is lower and sounds better and when rolling on the throttle, there is no hiccup, or pause, the power seems to be right there.

So far, at last after just one ride, I'm very happy with the way she runs and no complaints so far.

Michael
Ride in true the whole rpm range , all gears and from cold to compleet warm , this for several runs then run 'Automap Function'

Old 11-06-2020, 06:01 PM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser

It's been 4 days since the install, and I just started my second tank of gas.

Initial thoughts.

The bike seems to be running very well. Idles about 950 when warm. Torque comes on early and keeps pulling to 6k when I twist. No surging, backfires, coughing or flat spots of any kind. I think this is how a 103 should feel.

On the minus side, is harder to start when hot. It turns over easily, but doesn't seem to be turning fast enough to catch. Takes a few seconds, then she finally catches and fires. Replaced battery at the same time as the install, so I am assuming that's not the issue.

Overall, I am very happy with it. I guess after another tankful, that will make 3, I need to figure out how to set up the autotune. I have yet to even connect and link. I just installed it and have been riding.

Very satisfied so far,
Michael

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread