Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Brian Warren
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues since thundermax install

I recently purchased a new pro pipe from Vance and Hines and already had the s&s cam upgraded. We installed Arlen ness big sucker with wild pig slip ons originally and bike ran great. When we changed the pipes and installed the thunder max instead of leaving the power vision download on it the bike started coughing at cold starts. My upgrades are the thunder max and Vance and Hines pro pipe 2 into 1. New s&s cams and gear drive. New Arlen ness big sucker. Now I’ve done all that and when I cold start it coughs through breather. It is also running rough or maybe you would say lurching at very low speed in 1st and 2nd gear only. It also pos at decelerations once again only 1st and 2nd gear. It does not do in 3rd and up and when I get on it it runs great. Lots more torque and power. It’s only during the cold starts and very low speeds that I’m having issues. What could this possibly be. I’ve changed plugs and tightened new head nuts down tight. What could this be and how do you suggest the repairs be done.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,008 Likes on 4,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Warren
I recently purchased a new pro pipe from Vance and Hines and already had the s&s cam upgraded. We installed Arlen ness big sucker with wild pig slip ons originally and bike ran great. When we changed the pipes and installed the thunder max instead of leaving the power vision download on it the bike started coughing at cold starts. My upgrades are the thunder max and Vance and Hines pro pipe 2 into 1. New s&s cams and gear drive. New Arlen ness big sucker. Now I’ve done all that and when I cold start it coughs through breather. It is also running rough or maybe you would say lurching at very low speed in 1st and 2nd gear only. It also pos at decelerations once again only 1st and 2nd gear. It does not do in 3rd and up and when I get on it it runs great. Lots more torque and power. It’s only during the cold starts and very low speeds that I’m having issues. What could this possibly be. I’ve changed plugs and tightened new head nuts down tight. What could this be and how do you suggest the repairs be done.

That can be fixed in the head temp maps for AFR and Timing.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:41 PM
JohnA.
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Warren

Did you use 'Auto-Map' function ?

Old 09-03-2019, 05:04 AM
eriksweden
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a thundermax -07 , when the dyna vas a few months old . Works fine since then . Havent done anything for 7-8 years , changed cams last weekend runs fine after a little autotune . But i would like to check width a suggested map then i notised that i dont have anything on my pc anymore !
At thundermax .com they have thre diffrent for download , all of them are newer than mine . How do i get correct software ?

Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 09-04-2019, 03:25 AM
eriksweden
Cruiser

Same software /different plug ? The plug on mine is flat , 30-35 mm wide , white , whidth a little screw on each end . Was on some pc`s 15 years ago . I had to get an adapter from this to USB .
Erik

Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by eriksweden
Same software /different plug ? The plug on mine is flat , 30-35 mm wide , white , whidth a little screw on each end . Was on some pc`s 15 years ago . I had to get an adapter from this to USB .
Erik
Look at the other ends of the cable.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:22 PM
eriksweden
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Look at the other ends of the cable.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:16 AM
eriksweden
Cruiser

And today i loaded a new map ,843 ,runs well .(no big diff from my old map that i made many changes in )

Old 10-09-2019, 05:45 PM
johnwesley
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a 4” stroke 96” super glide with stage 1 style heads. 1.9 intake stock exhaust, basically just cleaned up exhaust port and ceramic coated the intake cnc port focused on velocity. Intake flows 251 and exhaust 180 @28 cam is s&s 510 compression set at 10:1 with a 2:1 pipe.

My question is based on what map to use # 856 which is the 570 sns cam but the rest is closer to my build or # 906 which is the right cam but lower compression and stock heads. Which do you think will fit best from a timing stand point the 906 is a 2 year newer map.

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread