Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help! 2000 Ultraglide starts then quits

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
PanEd
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2000 Ultraglide starts then quits

The problem: bike starts normal, dies in 3-5seconds. will not restart until switch is turned off for a few minutes. Whenbike does start I can rev it up as usual.
The bike: 2000 FLHTCUI stock ignition and fuel injection.
I've got service manual, but there are no trouble codes stored. anybody hadthese symptoms?
Thanks, Ed

Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Corn Born
Advanced

There is a tip over sensor that is in a shape of a V with a magnet and a metal ball. When the bike should tip over further than XX degrees (55*) then the bike shuts off. The sensor is bad. IT happen to me run for 5 secs and die. Maybe check that it is a cheap fix.
If someone can help me out by knowing the actual name of the sensor.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corn Born
There is a tip over sensor that is in a shape of a V with a magnet and a metal ball. When the bike should tip over further than XX degrees (55*) then the bike shuts off. The sensor is bad. IT happen to me run for 5 secs and die. Maybe check that it is a cheap fix.
If someone can help me out by knowing the actual name of the sensor.

BAS Bank Angle Sensor. Located under the left side cover. I think that is code 40 or 41.

Also check the Flywheel Position sensor and the Cam Position sensor.

Last edited by ajayrk; 10-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there was a problem with the high pressure side of the in tank fuel line getting holes rubbed into the line causing the fuel pressure to not build up properly....start it, and let it die. then take the high side fuel line off the quick connect..wear safety glasses just in case this is not it.... if there is no pressure when you take the line off, the line has one or more holes in it...if you cannot get the quick connect to come up and the line out, then it's probably ok, because there is pressure on the system...the high pressure side is the front line..... the best way to check the pressure is with a pressure gage, but you have to have the proper connection for the take valve and fuel line.....the above is a cheap test..... just replaced mine last month.....all the stuff is in the tank; fuel filter, fuel pump, and high pressure line... there is a return line, but it does not come out...the fuel filter alone is 165.00 and harley is the only one that's got it....that is for the kit,,, just buy the filter alone and it's 85.00... you'll also need a new gasket and 10 new screws... if that is the problem........everything is in the service manual.....good luck...

Old 10-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possible Idle Air Control problem. With the throttle closed the IAC allows air to bleed past the butterfly @ idle. I'd research this on the forum - lots of gen re: cleaning, etc.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM
PanEd
Stage II
Default Problem solved!

After reading responses to this and other posts I decided to check the bank angle sensor (BAS), even though I had no trouble codes at all. I also own a 2000 FLSTC and to my surprise the BAS is the same part number. I took the BAS off the heritage and installed it on the ultra and the bike started and ran perfectly. Took the BAS of from the Ultra and put it on the softail and the bike started and died just like the Ultra had.
I don't know why the bike did not give a fault code indicating that the problem was with the BAS, but can't argue with the results of swapping the part.
Thanks to all that responded!
Ed

Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bonus....Always good to have extra parts to swap out......