Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What to do....looking for Tuner suggesstions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 AM
glide_n_around
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do....looking for Tuner suggesstions

So I have been ridingHarleys for a little over 11 years, and made the jump to a FI bike this time last year. I bought an 03 FLHTPI that had been built. The bike runs great and pulls strong, but I think I am really leaving something on the table with it in the tuning department. The bike has a RevTech DFO(Dobeck Controller) and I feel it runs pretty good. I have been around late model fuel inj mustangs for the last 20 years, and know the ins and outs of all the major ignition and fuel injection systems on those cars, but my feet are just wet on the Harley stuff.

So y'all know the drill, research lots and spend money once....Here goes the mod list:
100" S&S Sidewinder kit with S&S Heads, S&S 585G cams, Hypercharger Pro R Air Cleaner, Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, RevTech DFO Tuner.

I contacted the guys at Dobeck and told them my setup and the settings on the controller and they said don't touch it. I even sent them a video and they said it idles like a carbed bike and were impressed with the whole package. I am going to put it on the dyno sometime this fall and baseline what I got, but would like to step up to a tuner. I know ultimately it will be most influenced by whosever dyno I wind up on for the tuning. They will have a preferred tuner in mind and how they like to map t, but want to hear from impartial parties before I hear the sales pitch from a dyno tuner.

Here's the video....

Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It kind of depends on how much you want to get into DIY tuning IMO. If you really want to get the best out of your bike and happy to spend the money to do so, I'd go for a Thundermax, but its big $$$.

With that out of the way, if you want ease of use, then a PowerVision is pretty hard to beat. Nice little screen to make the whole tuning process easy.

PowerVision is a "flash" type tuner in that it flashes a new calibration onto the ECM. I would avoid the "piggy back" type tuners as they cannot cope properly with anything other than a stage 1 and all have inherent problems even then.

The other two flash tuners I'd recommend are TTS MasterTune and the SEPST. Both are priced very similarly and have plenty of dyno tuners that can use them. The main advantage of the TTS is that it allows you to access many more options than the SEPST. (But if you're not really into DIY tuning, that may be lost on you.) The main advantage of the SEPST (other than being HD and therefore with some - limited - support from dealers) is that you can do "smart tune" recordings without the need to carry a laptop on the bike, like you would for the TTS. The latest model TTS has the hardware necessary for doing so without a laptop, but as far as I know, the software hasn't yet caught up. TTS has better community support than SEPST which HD seem reluctant to support really.

EDIT: I'm kind-of half-way through writing this, so sorry that it doesn't include the two models that are most likely to be of interest to you:

http://harley.uk.net/doku.php?id=tech:espfi:which_tuner

Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

a SEPST can't do an 03. I wouldn't use a powervision on an 03 either. You CAN use a TTS,but with NO O2 system in the bike, you should have a tuner do this...

A Tmax will work, and one CAN do your bike, you will have to add bungs to the pipes. Another option would be an S&S throttle body and their tuner. You would have to add bungs for this to work also. I vote for the S&S or the Tmax for DIY.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 09-26-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 PM
glide_n_around
Advanced

My pipes have bungs in them, Freedom Performance Racing True Duals. Is the S&S Tuner theirs or something rebranded, like the RevTech DFO(Dobeck Controller)?

Is this the S&S Kit you are referring to? http://www.sscycle.com/product/Twin-...it-p24256.html

I could tune that, I have a wideband 02 from my race car that I can tweak the maps with. Is there any ignition control with this or any HD tuners?

Last edited by glide_n_around; 09-26-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I will admit I am uncertain about the S&S kit you posted. But I DO know the Tmax and the S&S kit with the TB included WILL allow timing adjustments. TMax and the S&S kit both are Alpha N technology. That means everything is based upon throttle position and RPM. Your Delphi uses Speed density which uses Throttle Position, RPM and MAP. Delphi is a better system for the later bikes. But your bike? To gain good tunes, the TMax has lots of users, and there are a few gurus on another site I can turn you onto to (PM me). You could possibly keep the Delphi system, but you would need a 2004 ECM to start with and some re wiring. If you went that route... you would end up with a system that COULD use TTS and also be able to use V-Tune.

For Simplicity and plug and play? Tmax would be my favorite choice and I will call around (gimme a week) and I will solidify whether that S&S kit can do timing or is an -add on- like a PCV.

And.... I didn't think of it, but since you DO have a Delphi and not a MM.... you could use a PCV on your bike and have decent results. NOT as good as a Tmax, but decent nonetheless.

Me? With winter coming and all of that? I feel the abosolute best system is to convert to a later ECM and tune with TTS. The Tmax is around $1k (IIRC) and I think we could convert the ECM over for $500 if done cheapo way and that would leave $500 for a new, blue (it makes a difference) TTS. Timing with a TTS? or any new style tuners that can tune a Delphi? Haha! With a TTS conversion and an 04 ECM... main timing is totally adjustable. So is closed throttle spark, idle spark, accel spark, hot spark, etc. And.. with the newer style ECM... knock control is inherent when used with a late model coil.

Feel free to PM me, but you cannot be in a hurry with me... my personal 'busy season' is here and working 70 hr weeks (I sell, install and repair car washes). I AM glad to assist you with that limitation.

Oh... the S&S system is theirs, BTW and is not rebranded. It's NOT my money... but I would like to see you budget at least $1,000- 1,200 for getting you bike to be able to be tuned properly. The tune will make or break a build, and you are like me... invested heavily into mods. Do NOT be cheap with the 'brains' and you can make those mods you have done live up to the potential they have. Nowadays... the 'electronics' are the TRUE heart of making a bike 'shine'... or not!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 09-28-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM
glide_n_around
Advanced

Thanks for the input.....I am def going to wade slowly into the tuning waters. Like I said the bike runs good and has great driveability and street manners, so I could take time piecing things together. With an ECMchange is there adding circuits or changing main harness or repinniing pinouts? Like I said can make a fuel inj mustang haul ***, just ankle deep in the Harley waters right now. Nothing you've said has scared me yet..........yet! But you're saying $1K-1200 just for hardware then there is dyno time too right?