Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is the ecm choice this difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM
lost_roadking
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the ecm choice this difficult?

Currently, I own a 2000 Road king with the dreaded Magnetti Marelli EFI. What I have decided to do was a full blown custom job as a winter project. So in starting this project, I've decided to purchase an S&S T124 Long block engine without a fuel or ignition system. Since the T124 will fit 1999 -'06 big twins, I bought the Screamin' Eagle Pro 58mm Throttle Body with High Flow Intake Manifold so now my question is this while I wait for the engine to be built. Do I need to change my ECM? And if I do, will I also need a different wiring harness to fit the throttle body?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Later, in a different thread, I'll be asking transmission questions. This is my first rodeo.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There's nothing dreaded about MM, except misguided internet folklore. Darned good reason for a serious upgrade though! Why didn't you simply buy your engine with the whole nine yards? Then it would all go together and work properly. S&S has a replacement system for your stock MM, called S&S Variable Fuel Injection or VFI, which has better tunability than the stock set-up.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
There's nothing dreaded about MM, except misguided internet folklore. Darned good reason for a serious upgrade though! Why didn't you simply buy your engine with the whole nine yards? Then it would all go together and work properly. S&S has a replacement system for your stock MM, called S&S Variable Fuel Injection or VFI, which has better tunability than the stock set-up.
+1 on that. S&S makes a 58 MM throttle body and a ECM that's compatible with the wiring and fuel tank on your bike. Would be less work then using the SE throttle body.

Last edited by DanDman; 09-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 PM
lost_roadking
Novice

I guess I kind of jumped the gun when I bought the SE throttle body, but, I purposely didn't buy the fuel or ignition system so I could learn while I build. By trade I'm a computer network geek but started working on my bike this year (and have a few other threads out there on it) and really started to enjoy the frustrations. LOL

Old 09-19-2013, 04:59 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lost_roadking
I guess I kind of jumped the gun when I bought the SE throttle body, but, I purposely didn't buy the fuel or ignition system so I could learn while I build. By trade I'm a computer network geek but started working on my bike this year (and have a few other threads out there on it) and really started to enjoy the frustrations. LOL
I had looked into using a newer Delphi system on my 2000, and couldn't find that much information on converting one to work.
You should look at the S&S website and check the tech section. The instruction sheets/manuals can be downloaded.
I did a S&S ECM, 52mm, and O2 sensors on mine.

Attached Thumbnails Is the ecm choice this difficult?-100_0985.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would use the S&S system. Converting to a Delphi is some serious business. You will like the S&S system.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM
lost_roadking
Novice

So DanDMan and wurk..... are yousaying I will have to get the EFI main wiring harness for *cough* $770 then the efi? and if so which did you use? (this is where I'm hitting a wall) Did you go with the VFI closed loop fuel injection kit? And what about ignition?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lost_roadking
So DanDMan and wurk..... are yousaying I will have to get the EFI main wiring harness for *cough* $770 then the efi? and if so which did you use? (this is where I'm hitting a wall) Did you go with the VFI closed loop fuel injection kit? And what about ignition?
I pieced mine together for about $1300, basically a 52mm Throttle Body Kit with 02 sensors. It uses the stock harness and the S&S ECM. Plug & play. The ECM allows you to download your own maps using Pro Tune 2. If you go with 02 sensors you add 3 wires to the ECM plug.
There's one on ebay, it's a complete 52mm kit. Maybe they can get you a 58mm kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141008419312?

Here's a 58 mm kit (not a complete one)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-S-58mm-THR...01-TWIN-CAM-W-

Last edited by DanDman; 09-24-2013 at 02:36 AM.