Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New guy wanting to fix his bike/learn something (Sportster won't start)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
willing_to_learn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy wanting to fix his bike/learn something (Sportster won't start)

I have a daily driver 2005 883 that I have been riding for 4 years now. Been riding it fine all spring/summer and haven't noticed any issues.

Yesterday I came home from work, parked it, and this morning I tried to turn it on and I got lights when I turned the ignition. When I tried to start it I forgot to pull my choke and the bike chugged once and died. I have accidentally forgotten to pull the choke before, but when I went to restart it I got no lights, nothing. Can't get it to turn on at all.

just checked my battery and it seems totally fine. I was getting a good reading. All the fuses are okay... so I would love some advice! I have done all my own work up to this point, and would like to continue learning/doing my own maintenance.

Thanks!
Nic

Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Check both ends of your battery cables , tightness & corrosion would be my next step if you haven't already.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 PM
willing_to_learn
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Stopit
Check both ends of your battery cables , tightness & corrosion would be my next step if you haven't already.
When I took the battery out to test its voltage, I made sure to really tighten the negative and the positive leads. Both terminals look clean, too.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by willing_to_learn
When I took the battery out to test its voltage, I made sure to really tighten the negative and the positive leads. Both terminals look clean, too.
may be a relay issue?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

You checked the battery terminal ends , did you check the other ends ?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 AM
willing_to_learn
3rd Gear

You checked the battery terminal ends , did you check the other ends ?
I went to dinner last night, so I wasn't able to look at it further (dark outside when I got home). I am going to work on it when I get off work today.

Would you care to explain to me what you mean by the other ends and how I would go about checking them?

Also not certain about what/where the relay is.

Thanks for suffering through my noobness!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

I'm not sure on your bike where they go from the battery , just follow them to there termination point and check for good connections. Seems that your getting zero voltage from your battery to your bike. You checked your battery with a meter ? If not I would recommend you pick one up as you will be hard pressed to trouble shoot electrical problems with out one. Also a Harley service manual is your friend. What you will spend between the 2 is around what a hr service charge at the dealer would be. I've done alot my own work and bought alot of tools using this logic. I would check the easy cheaper stuff 1st. You can spend alot of money on electrical ( usually NON returnable ) parts and not fix your problem. If your not positive about your battery another option is to take it to ORielly , Auto Zone , HD dealer, or Advanced Auto and have them load test it , I've never been charged for this . The 1st step is to establish a known good power source and that it is being delivered to the bike.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by willing_to_learn
I have a daily driver 2005 883 that I have been riding for 4 years now. Been riding it fine all spring/summer and haven't noticed any issues.

Yesterday I came home from work, parked it, and this morning I tried to turn it on and I got lights when I turned the ignition. When I tried to start it I forgot to pull my choke and the bike chugged once and died. I have accidentally forgotten to pull the choke before, but when I went to restart it I got no lights, nothing. Can't get it to turn on at all.

just checked my battery and it seems totally fine. I was getting a good reading. All the fuses are okay... so I would love some advice! I have done all my own work up to this point, and would like to continue learning/doing my own maintenance.

Thanks!
Nic
heres a chicks solution..id roll that s.o.b down the hill and kick start it lol

Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM
willing_to_learn
3rd Gear

I'm not sure on your bike where they go from the battery , just follow them to there termination point and check for good connections. Seems that your getting zero voltage from your battery to your bike. You checked your battery with a meter ? If not I would recommend you pick one up as you will be hard pressed to trouble shoot electrical problems with out one. Also a Harley service manual is your friend. What you will spend between the 2 is around what a hr service charge at the dealer would be. I've done alot my own work and bought alot of tools using this logic. I would check the easy cheaper stuff 1st. You can spend alot of money on electrical ( usually NON returnable ) parts and not fix your problem. If your not positive about your battery another option is to take it to ORielly , Auto Zone , HD dealer, or Advanced Auto and have them load test it , I've never been charged for this . The 1st step is to establish a known good power source and that it is being delivered to the bike.
I used a volt meter on it and I was getting 12v on it. I do know that much I checked all my fuses and I was getting a connection from all of them as well. All the leads were plugged into the battery firmly. Would I have to take off my tank to follow them up to my starter?

I have a majority of the tools I need already (had a guy back into my bike two years ago and I replaced everything myself with the insurance money his company gave me).

Battery is fine, next step is just to follow the leads to the starter?

Originally Posted by Helen Wheels
heres a chicks solution..id roll that s.o.b down the hill and kick start it lol
Lol I wish. Of course I am riding in 98-102 degree weather all week and as soon as it comes into the low 80s my bike is down for the count :\

Last edited by willing_to_learn; 09-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
willing_to_learn
3rd Gear

Oops. Double post

Quick Reply: New guy wanting to fix his bike/learn something (Sportster won't start)