Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New guy wanting to fix his bike/learn something (Sportster won't start)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

You should see a little over 12vdc bike off , try putting your leads on the battery and turn your key to the start position , does your voltages drop below 12.3 vdc ? If so it's toast . Sorry if I seem to be harping on the battery , they often times are the problem though they seem to check out ok, and they go like flipping a switch. I parked my bike in the drive no hint of a problem , 20min later click ...... nothing , battery was done. Read 12.2 vdc , hit the starter 10.6 vdc Once again I'm not sure where your cables run , you will have to follow them both , either one could be loosing good contact. 1st re-check the battery as I described , it's fast and will save a lot of trouble if I'm right.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 PM
willing_to_learn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit
You should see a little over 12vdc bike off , try putting your leads on the battery and turn your key to the start position , does your voltages drop below 12.3 vdc ? If so it's toast . Sorry if I seem to be harping on the battery , they often times are the problem though they seem to check out ok, and they go like flipping a switch. I parked my bike in the drive no hint of a problem , 20min later click ...... nothing , battery was done. Read 12.2 vdc , hit the starter 10.6 vdc Once again I'm not sure where your cables run , you will have to follow them both , either one could be loosing good contact. 1st re-check the battery as I described , it's fast and will save a lot of trouble if I'm right.
Ok cool, I will give that a look tomorrow morning and post back I would love it if it was just the battery. I am cool with paying 60 bucks on amazon to get a new battery.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 PM
willing_to_learn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I was working on my bike all morning, just making sure everything was tightened and was going over my owners manual, etc. I put my keys in just to give it a try... it started right up. Everything seems fine now, so I am thinking something just got jostled on the ride home from work earlier this week.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Cool , glad your rollin again.