Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New 2013 Road King - Need Tuner Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 AM
kballowe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New 2013 Road King - Need Tuner Advice

Just picked up a new 2013 Road King.

First of all, I'm not a speed demon, and this bike will be used mostly for touring. I do virtually all of my own work.

The dealer tells me that I need a new head pipe and remove the cat and add open mufflers and a new air cleaner and a SERT and a dyno tune.

Holy S@*T how much does that all cost ?

I'm not into LOUD, but a nice rumble would be good. (We also have a 2008 Fat Boy with V&H pipes and quiet baffles, and a Cobra CVT for fuel management)

I suppose that it would be too much to ask to simply be able to put on a set of slightly louder slip-on mufflers, and leave it at that?

Seriously, what do I really need?

Thanks, in advance

Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 AM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Check Fuel Moto website also check this tread for good info; https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-moto.html

Last edited by agueybana; 08-27-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kballowe
set of slightly louder slip-on mufflers, and leave it at that?

Thanks, in advance
If you think the slip-on's will do it for you, then your good. But the whole package "will" be a lot better.

I don't know how much an exhaust system for your sled will cost. But the SEPRT / Dyno will cost you about $800. And it is worth every penney.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kballowe
Just picked up a new 2013 Road King.

First of all, I'm not a speed demon, and this bike will be used mostly for touring. I do virtually all of my own work.

The dealer tells me that I need a new head pipe and remove the cat and add open mufflers and a new air cleaner and a SERT and a dyno tune.

Holy S@*T how much does that all cost ?

I'm not into LOUD, but a nice rumble would be good. (We also have a 2008 Fat Boy with V&H pipes and quiet baffles, and a Cobra CVT for fuel management)

I suppose that it would be too much to ask to simply be able to put on a set of slightly louder slip-on mufflers, and leave it at that?

Seriously, what do I really need?

Thanks, in advance
You could just do the mufflers...shouldn't need a tuner for just mufflers and cost will be reasonable.

If the heat on your right leg bothers you, then change the headpipe to get rid of the cat ($300-$500 depending on which way you go).

If you decide to change the A/C too you'll need a tuner. The A/C isn't too expensive ($100-$150), but a good tuner will be (+ $400-$500).

Maybe start with the mufflers and then decide if you need to go further.

I also like Fuel Moto. They can supply whatever you need at reasonable prices with outstanding Tech. support.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM
kballowe
Advanced

Originally Posted by nhrider1
You could just do the mufflers...shouldn't need a tuner for just mufflers and cost will be reasonable.

If the heat on your right leg bothers you, then change the headpipe to get rid of the cat ($300-$500 depending on which way you go).

If you decide to change the A/C too you'll need a tuner. The A/C isn't too expensive ($100-$150), but a good tuner will be (+ $400-$500).

Maybe start with the mufflers and then decide if you need to go further.

I also like Fuel Moto. They can supply whatever you need at reasonable prices with outstanding Tech. support.
I thought about removing the cat, welding up the OEM head pipe.... And adding something like a Cobra Power Pro CVT and a set of slip ons.

Maybe I'll get a hole saw after the factory mufflers. Hahahahahahahahahaha

This 2013 has more power and is smoother than our 2005 Road King, so we're relatively happy with it, right out of the box.

Last edited by kballowe; 08-27-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

I did the street cannon slip ones, stage 1 and Vance and Hines fuel pak. I really like the results

Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 PM
kballowe
Advanced

Is there anyone that just rides these things as they came from the factory?

Personally, I haven't seen one.

Do they set themselves on fire or something if you don't add pipes and a tuner?

;-)

Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I like Fuelmoto like many other users, have used their products on my last two bikes, thats who I would call for advice. Lots of choices just my 2 cents.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just enjoy the bike the way it s for now. You can always change your mind later...but it sounds like your diggin it just the way it is...nothing wrong with that and it won't blow up on you

Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

I cut out my baffles, drilled out my cat so far and it is cooler and breaths better with out a tuner so far. Next step is a hi flow air filter and then a fuel pak or power commander as it will to lean. So far I have spent $0. I will admit its loud but not to loud.

Quick Reply: New 2013 Road King - Need Tuner Advice