Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Cam upgrade questions '11 FLSTF 96"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 AM
johnnyfly41
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam upgrade questions '11 FLSTF 96"

Hello all,

I have slip on rush pipes and the K and N filter kit on my '11 FatBoy.

Looking at a possible cam upgrade. Since I largely just cruise alone, the SE 583 cam looks like a a very flat broad power curve with some big HP and torque gains across the band, I like that.

They have this "easy start" compression release. I dont know, there is something about moving parts on my cam that gives me a funny feeling inside. Thoughts ?

Also, their lifters and adjustable pushrods seem to be the way to go if doing it.

And, finally, what about either their timing chain upgrade or the gear drive. I kind of like the idea of the gear drive, just so it doesnt sound like a 6-71 blower !

If you have experience with any or all of these upgrades, I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

thank you,

Johnny
Freeport IL

Old 08-12-2013, 04:26 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A set of S&S 583 cams is really too big of a cam, unless you buy new pistons and raise the static compression ratio. Easy starts are basically fine, since they altered them from original. (They dropped so much compression that the ION sensing wouldn't allow a bike to start. Their lifters are fine. Same with PRs, if that's your poison. One thing... stay AWAY from gear drive cams unless you have a pinned and welded crank. 07up cranks CAN move a little. There is no certainty of your crank, right now, being under .002 run out, nor is there any way to keep it that straight without welding. There is NOTHING wrong with chain drive, and it is way more forgiving.

Swapping cams is truly, along with a STage 1, the very best bang for the buck! You will need a flash tuner of some sort like TTS or PV, so figure that cost in. Also, getting a good tune, on a dyno, can be $350-500, so add that cost in also. I know of a really good tuner in East ST Louis, BTW.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM
johnnyfly41
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you WT, that is excellent information.

What happened, I was at Oshkosh at Airventure and there was a booth, big Crane sign, S and S, Screamin eagle. The guy there showed me the literature and we talked about my riding etc. The 583 is what he recommended and the HP/torque charts for a 96" stage 1 motor looked impressive. I guess anyone can make a chart.

Anyway, I do have the Powervision tuner, I have just never plugged it in to my bike !!! I know, chicken I guess. I suppose I should learn the thing and find a canned program for stage 1 mods like mine, upload the stock and download a canned program and see what I get.

They also had their timing chain there, and a demo of how much lower friction it is when rotated. Since its hydraulic tension, not sure how they were demoing that, maybe their demo was rigged ???

Sounds like I have some learning to do. If you want to pass me the name of that shop, that would be great. I am in extreme Northern IL but it never hurts to have contacts.

thank you for the reply.

j.