Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

need help with issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
bikerdave65
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with issue

ok so here is the story , i have a 2000 dyna convertable , 2 months ago it got wrecked when a guy pulled out in front of us and stopped , fought with his insurance company to keep it from being totaled , got it fixed , got it back 2 weeks ago and noticed that the "engine " light would stay on longer than it used too (before the wreck it would go out almost as soon as the engine fired ) now it stays on for about 10 seconds then goes out , then it lights again for about 10-15 seconds and goes out untill i start the bike again , the bike runs fine otherwise , the other issue im having is about a week from when i picked up the bike the right turn signal (which was replaced from the accident ) the running light part of it stopped working , so i thought it was the bulb , i changed the bulb and then nothing worked , after some inspection i found 2 of the 3 wires had not been crimped together well , so i soldered all 3 conections and sealed the wires good and tight , now the running light works but the turn signal wont flash, it works fine when i turn on the 4 way flashers and as just a running light , but when i turn on the right turn signal the light goes out and the dash indicator just stays lit up . i am wondering if these two issues are related , could the turn signal modual have a code in it and its causeing the turn signal not to work ???? i ahve heard that the turn signal modual is like an ECM on the pre-fuel injection bikes .or could there be a code in it from the wreck ????? i dont want to take it to the dealer again if i can help it , i always work on my own bikes at home . thanks for any help with this

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Humm, the turn signals are controlled by the TSM turn signal module, or TSSM, that is with the security system.
It is located under the cover on the side of the Dyna.
If the emergency flashers work on that side but not for turn my bet would be that you have a problem with a wire in the handle bars at the switch. Either a grounded wire or something pinched, or maybe prong/wire in the wrong spot in one of the connectors.
I would try pulling it apart and see if you can get it to work.
What kind of wiring equipment do you have, I love the ice pick current testers for running down wires on a problem like this.
One last note the code will not stop the signals from working, but a problem in the TSM can cause the engine light to come on.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 PM
bikerdave65
5th Gear

thanks H.C. i will try that this weekend , this afternoon i went out there and was trying to find the diagnostic plug for the tsm i found a small grey plug with a rubber stopper in the end of it , it has 4 prongs . i few of the articals i have read on here say to put a jumper wire on terminals 1 & 2 (they also said the plug is marked ) i looked all over that plug and didnt find any #'s on it so i just put it back together , i counted how long the engine light stays on it was 15 sec after start up so i feel pretty sure there is a code in it , its starting to look like i will have to make a trip back to the dealer (im bummed )

Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't give up yet.
Yea my plug is not marked either, let me look in the manual and see if it says, or maybe someone will chime in.
Bump

Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,001 Likes on 4,192 Posts

That plug is to make it easier for the Harley tech to read the codes on my 04. However I can read them thru the speedometer. Not sure your 2000 has that ability. Is your bike FI? My data data link is 1 ltgr/r 2 bk (ground) 3 ltgn/v and 4 gray . You sure you put the correct run/brake light pins right in the front right light? Were were these three crimped wires for the light at? All bulbs and indicator have to be correct for a flash since the TSM is a mini computer and monitors burnt out bulbs.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-12-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Looked in the Manual and could not find how the pins are marked, however like Ripsaw says the #1 pin wire is light green and red, the #2 pin wire is black it is the ground wire.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 PM
bikerdave65
5th Gear

RIPSAW no my dyna is still carburated , i was reading how on the F.I. models the speedo will display the codes .
H.C. thanks for the info on the wire colors i will check tomorow and see , i asked about a factory shop manual and parts book at my dealer they can still get them for me , but the 2 together are like $100 and im paying doctor bills still from the accident untill we settle up with the other guys insurance , so extra cash is in short supply . the shop that fixed the bike said to bring it back , but i dont wanna loose my ride with the weather being so nice , so im trying to fix it myself , i realy appreciate the info ya'll, thanks