Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Road King died

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM
elwoodto
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King died

Hello everyone, I have a 2005 RKC runs great until today. Pulling into a gas station the bike shut off by itself in mid turn and lost all battery power. Checked the normal fuses etc. everything looked fine. Waited a few minutes turned the switch on, no power, lights absolutely nothing. Got a ride home picked a trailer hauled the bike home. As soon as it was off the trailer I hit the switch everything worked. Started up and ran as usual. Took the seat off and side covers pulled and pushed all the wires/connections I could get at, checked the battery connections, fuses and everything looked ok. If there was a short I would think I should have at least blown a fuse. Gonna think about it for a few and pull the dash off and check the ignition switch and check the wires under the tank. Got me puzzled right now.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Custmfxwg
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem on a 1997 Road King except I haven't been able to get power back. Did you ever figure out what caused it?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM
trkrjohn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I as well had the same issue with a 97' FLHTCU. I called the local stealership here in Alabama and found there was a recall on the ignition switch for that very reason. Mine had died in the middle of a construction zone on I65 and my wife panicked when all we could see was those orange safety barrels coming at us. Anyway, got the recall taken care of and it never happened again. By the way, the original owner knew nothing of the recall and I had it done 6 years later, so call and check on the recall notices for your bike(s).

Just my $.02 worth.
Safe riding!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

IIRC, there is a circuit breaker(CB) on an 05? I could be wrong about what year they stopped using them.

If the bike DOES have a CB, swap that out for a Maxi Fuse. The switches DO have a recall. Sounds like a CB to me... cools off and works again.

The 97 has a CB for sure. Trash that and change to a Maxi Fuse... like a 40-50 amp fuse.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

The ignition switch has a recall, there was also a recall on the circuit breaker, they originally had a 40 AMP breaker that would trip then reset itself. They recall replaced them with 50 AMP breakers.