Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is Xied/ Vied a waste for my bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Reaper7534
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Xied/ Vied a waste for my bike ?

Was looking into getting a Power Vision, but have a hard time justifying the cost. I'm not looking for performance, only want to get rid/ reduce decel pop and keep the engine safe.

Right now, all I have done is added V&H Big Shots and want to add some type of heavy flowing A/C.

I have quite a bit of decel pop now, I liked it at first now it bothers me. I'm pretty sure I don't have any exhaust leaks, but I suppose it's possible.

So in short, is he investment worth it for my application ?

2013 Dyna 96 CI
V&H Big Shots with A/C to soon follow.

Thanks

Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,461 Posts

I know you're not looking for performance, however, your bike will be much happier if it was not running so lean.

Below is a chart that shows where your bike is running right now, and where it would be running (AFR-wise) with some FL-XiED-10's.

Click HERE for more info on the FL-XiED-10's.

As far as the decel pop, it is not damaging your engine, but if you don't like it then the best way to get rid of it is by changing the AFR in your pipes. The FL-XiED-10's might do that, but V&H pipes are very prone to decel pop.

Thunder Torque Inserts will do a good job of reducin/eliminating the decel pop, plus they will give you in increase in low and mid range power.

When it comes time to add your A/C, give the Oulaws a look. HERE.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Reaper7534
Advanced

So the inserts are compatible with the baffles in the big shots ? Also, it looks like I'd would e better off withe the v-ied, correct.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reaper7534
So the inserts are compatible with the baffles in the big shots ? Also, it looks like I'd would e better off withe the v-ied, correct.

Thanks

Yes, we have many Customers running the TTI's in their Big Shots. Devin (the "D" in DK) is running them in his Big Shots on his Dyna.

Many like the V instead of the X because it allows for a little tweaking of the AFR.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:16 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Give you my run with 2010 fxdwg,

Put slip ons on at 3000kms, put xieds on at 5000kms, bike felt smoother at low speed, didn't notice any effect on heat and had a bit more legs in each gear

Put hiflow ac on at 13000kms and again bike was better in each gear, now at 24000kms I just put V&H straight shots on with smartpartz hardcore baffle in and bit more legs in each gear again

I checked plugs thru out the mods and now I notice plugs have a bit more tan color deposit on them which is still balanced combustion

still get decel pop which I don't reckon can get rid of until get a Powervision let's say
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same pipes on a fatboy and went to the V&H quiet baffle. Got rid of most of the pop and improved the low end and I would say it improved the sound.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...have a hard time justifying the cost. I'm not looking for performance, only want to get rid/ reduce decel pop and keep the engine safe...
I think this is one of the biggest mistakes many owners make. And it's one of the most exploited marketing tricks too.

A decent tuner (not the add-on devices) that will allow access to the various tables will pay great dividends by allowing the bike to be tuned properly. A completely stock bike with NO mods will benefit from a correct tune using a full-featured tuner.

A real tuner is the first purchase most should make. Your problems are very common with those that put the cart before the horse. By adding more mods, you'll most likely begin to have more issues...and some of those could result in damage to your motor.

If you can't justify the cost of a real tuner, don't even waste your money on the a/c or anything else that will change the airflow through the engine.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Reaper7534
Advanced

Well pipes were the absolutely first thing that had to go on, the thing sounded like a kitten off the showroom floor. I was assured by many on the forum if I was only doing either a exhaust or A/C upgrade I'd be fine, but if I do both, at that point I'd need a tuner.

The only reason I'm going to change the a/c is purely for aesthetics, I love the look of the cone filter. I was not going to change it until I was able to have the bike tuned.

Just because I said I can't justify the cost of a full fledge tuner, doesn't mean I won't buy one. That's the whole reason I posted here was to get some input or some other options before I invest in something.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:54 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

We sell a lot of the XiED family of products. The vast majority are happy with the benefit they provide from day one and years down the road.

Bikes that are stock, have exhaust or air cleaner added, or both, do very well with an XiED family product, and no damage (short or long term) will occur in these configurations.

Can you get more out of a stock bike or Stage I with a full tuner? Yes. For 3x to 5x the cost you can get a full tuner and get more out of the bike. How much more? Typically 10% more, maybe 15%.

However, if you do more than exhaust & air cleaner (Stage I), then we recommend a Full Tuner.

The Power Vision is a great full tuner, not only will it give the stock or Stage 1 bike a bit more than an XiED product, it also-

Gives you a great number of things you can monitor real time, it does not require a computer, it has an auto-tune feature so no Dyno time is needed, and if you do more than a Stage I, it will take care of that too.

For a lot more detail on how the EFI works on recent HD's, accommodating changes in air flow, check out this thread, especially post #24

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...age-1-a-3.html

You will see that the HD ECM does a very good job at adapting to changes.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Well pipes were the absolutely first thing that had to go on, the thing sounded like a kitten off the showroom floor. I was assured by many on the forum if I was only doing either a exhaust or A/C upgrade I'd be fine...
So, with all that "assurance" you traded up (or maybe down) to a bike that now sounds either like a dog farting underwater or someone setting off lady fingers in a trash can.

Either way, I'm guessing it's not exactly what you were looking for when you installed those "highly" recommended badass pipes.

It's unfortunate that so many new guys go down the same road. They read from others (and they have about the same level of knowledge...almost none), begin switching out slickly marketed parts with little to no clue as to what they're doing, and then end up with problems.

Then comes the cries for help and finally the "Harley's suck..." posts.

Sorry man, some here are trying to separate you from your money and others are just trying to keep you from needlessly do so.

It's you bike, money, and peace of mind. Do as YOU see fit.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is Xied/ Vied a waste for my bike ?