Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII Accelerator Pump feature

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts
Default PCIII Accelerator Pump feature

When I ordered my PCIII from Fuelmoto I mistakenly told Jamie I had 8 degree injectors based on my build date. When I found out the dealer had switched the injectors on my 06 bike before I bought it, I got a new map from Jamie and installed it for the 25 degree injectors. Bike started great and ran fine but had a bad hesitation for a second if I snapped the throttle.

Since the hesitation seemed exactly like what I had experienced before on a carbed bike, I reckoned installing the accelerator pump feature onto the PCIII might help. It did. Seems to have totally eliminated the hesitation...

I am only throwing this out in case anyone was wondering about the accelerator pump feature. I need to ride some more to determine the impact on mileage tho, but it really helped rideability...

FYI my bike starts at the beginning of the 2nd revolution of the motor - which to me is FINE and I do not consider that to be an issue...

Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: PCIII Accelerator Pump feature

Yup!

Good news that you got it fixed.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: steveh326

When I ordered my PCIII from Fuelmoto I mistakenly told Jamie I had 8 degree injectors based on my build date. When I found out the dealer had switched the injectors on my 06 bike before I bought it, I got a new map from Jamie and installed it for the 25 degree injectors. Bike started great and ran fine but had a bad hesitation for a second if I snapped the throttle.

Since the hesitation seemed exactly like what I had experienced before on a carbed bike, I reckoned installing the accelerator pump feature onto the PCIII might help. It did. Seems to have totally eliminated the hesitation...

I am only throwing this out in case anyone was wondering about the accelerator pump feature. I need to ride some more to determine the impact on mileage tho, but it really helped rideability...

FYI my bike starts at the beginning of the 2nd revolution of the motor - which to me is FINE and I do not consider that to be an issue...
A number of people have had problems with hesitation, but those that have tried the accel-pump feature have reported a decrease in gas mileage. Mine doesn't hestiate, or at least rarely and innocuously, and like you I'm having no trouble with the delayed-start problem. There may be a delay, but it is minor and I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't read it in this forum. This bike now has about 3800 miles on it and is running stronger every day with Fuel Moto's map, adjusted for mileage in the cruise range.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steveh326
I reckoned installing the accelerator pump feature onto the PCIII might help. It did. Seems to have totally eliminated the hesitation...

Just wondering what settings you used for the ACC Pump? Jamie suggested Sensitivity =50, Fuel =10, Rev =20

How does that compair to what you used?

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 03-03-2007, 11:13 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

I didn't talk to Jamie about it, so I just started with the sample settings on the PC site for street riders:
90% Sensitivity
15% Fuel Increase
20 Engine Revolutions

Old 03-03-2007, 11:17 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

it only makes sense that mileage will suffer - all the accel pump does is add more fuel when you twist the wick...

since thew accel pump only really kicks in when you snap the throtle, I figure if I can control my right hand (yeah right...lol) it may not be too bad, otherwise, its easy enuf to disable the feature.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:29 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting discussion. Why would the 25 degree injectors require a different map? The fuel volume delivered isn't changing, just the spray pattern, right? I haven't seen any maps on the dynajet site for different injector models...

I got 25 degree injectors last week at my 2,500 mile check-up. I reported some backfiring and they took care of me and replaced the injectors.

Jake

Old 03-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

When we took my dads Ultra into the dealer for his 95" kit, and PCIII install they knew knothing about the accel pump feature...

I set it up using the 90, 15, 20 - then modified it according to feel - made a huge difference in performance.

Fuel effeciency has suffered a bit, but the performance gain was worth it.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:02 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: F117ewo

Interesting discussion. Why would the 25 degree injectors require a different map? The fuel volume delivered isn't changing, just the spray pattern, right? I haven't seen any maps on the dynajet site for different injector models...

I got 25 degree injectors last week at my 2,500 mile check-up. I reported some backfiring and them took care of me and replaced the injectors.

Jake
Surprisingly, your questions havebeen asked before but no one seems to know for sure what the answer is.It's Sunday, I see nothing but snow, riding season has been delayedso I have a few theories to bore you with.When a fuel injector sprays fuel, an EFI designer has many factors to concern themselves with. Two are the fuel sponging and poolingeffects.

Fuel sponging is when the fuel sprayed from the injectoris absorbed into the soot and carbon buildups in the port and intake valve. When these parts are cold,injected fuel is absorbed bythe soot rather then going directly to the combustion chambercausing a lean condition, especially during throttle transitions. Then when these parts warm up the absorbedfuel is released causing an over rich condition.As the engine builds up more soot and as temps change, this condition can cause unpredictable results. Changing injector location or spray angles can alter the affect but never solve it. Many non bike typeECM's that I have worked with have tables set up just to control these affects.

Fuel pooling is when the fuel sprayed from the injector contacts theintake port and accumulates as a pool of fuel during certain conditions, such as very lowintake air velocities and cold ports.Again, this pooling is robbing from the fuel that should have gone to the combustion chamber causing a temporary lean condition.If fuel has pooled and we increase the port velocity the fuel is sheared up and we have a temporary overly rich condition. Obviously port temps play a role in this activity. Many ECMs also have tables set up to control this condition that are heat Vsair flow Vs RPM based.

Possibly this could explain why a injectors with the same flow rates butdifferent spray angles require different fuel maps. Also, why some bikes do not develop a problem until they get a few thousand miles on as more soot and carbon builds up.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior

I truely have no clue, but my theory is the additional smaller spray streams (8 vs 3) and the wider angle (25 vs 8)allow for more efficient atomization of the fuel, and a more efficient burn, which is wht PCs instructions on their website is to lean out the mid and high range a couple points...

I likened it to when I added a Davinici booster on the S&S carb on my other bike - resulted in better atomization and got rid of a persistent flat sport I had...

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

ORIGINAL: F117ewo

I got 25 degree injectors last week at my 2,500 mile check-up. I reported some backfiring and them took care of me and replaced the injectors.

Jake
Surprisingly, your questions havebeen asked before but no one seems to know for sure what the answer is.It's Sunday, I see nothing but snow, riding season has been delayedso I have a few theories to bore you with.When a fuel injector sprays fuel, an EFI designer has many factors to concern themselves with. Two are the fuel sponging and poolingeffects.

Fuel sponging is when the fuel sprayed from the injectoris absorbed into the soot and carbon buildups in the port and intake valve. When these parts are cold,injected fuel is absorbed bythe soot rather then going directly to the combustion chambercausing a lean condition, especially during throttle transitions. Then when these parts warm up the absorbedfuel is released causing an over rich condition.As the engine builds up more soot and as temps change, this condition can cause unpredictable results. Changing injector location or spray angles can alter the affect but never solve it. Many non bike typeECM's that I have worked with have tables set up just to control these affects.

Fuel pooling is when the fuel sprayed from the injector contacts theintake port and accumulates as a pool of fuel during certain conditions, such as very lowintake air velocities and cold ports.Again, this pooling is robbing from the fuel that should have gone to the combustion chamber causing a temporary lean condition.If fuel has pooled and we increase the port velocity the fuel is sheared up and we have a temporary overly rich condition. Obviously port temps play a role in this activity. Many ECMs also have tables set up to control this condition that are heat Vsair flow Vs RPM based.

Possibly this could explain why a injectors with the same flow rates butdifferent spray angles require different fuel maps. Also, why some bikes do not develop a problem until they get a few thousand miles on as more soot and carbon builds up.

Quick Reply: PCIII Accelerator Pump feature