Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New saddlebag light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM
conjurski
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New saddlebag light wiring

So I purchased some new saddlebags for my wifes bike, with lights. I wired them by splicing into the wires for the tail/brake lights. They all work fine with One bulb in one saddlebag as soon as i put in the second bulb, when I turn the bike on and press the brake the brake light comes on and goes off and doesnt work again until i turn the bike off then back on and the light does the same thing. With one saddlebag bulb in, the lights work fine, as soon as I put in the second saddlebag bulb it does as decribed above. HELP! Any thoughts?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM
conjurski
Intermediate

Its a 2013 deluxe. I did post it un the electrical forum too. They are just 3 wire two filament sockets. I spliced into the tail light wire for the tail light function and the brake light wire for the brake light function. I spliced in right before the plug in the harness under the seat. All fuses are good, like I said, it works on initial turn on each time. It seems like the brake light relay isn't liking it but Im not exactly sure how the relay works or what I can do to make it work. It seems like the relay works n initial turn on and then when I push the brake it stops working, like a contact in the relay fails or something. I dont know if I need to add a resistor or something crazy in the wires or what. Like I said, I dont know how the relay works or if it is even the relay. Like i said it works fine with one bulb but not both, like the second bulb is drawing too much current or something and messing with the relay?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

are these LED lights? If so you're likely to need a load equalizer to correct the voltage seen by the electrical system.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM
conjurski
Intermediate

No, i think im drawing to much current so im actually going to try LEDs when she gets home since they are about 30 watts less combined. With two bulbs working and three not I just have to think its too much with incadecent bulbs.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 PM
conjurski
Intermediate

Yep, LED bulbs worked perfect.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

awesome.. glad you got it figured out..