Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Brake light question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM
sval
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light question

Yesterday while riding with my friend, he told me my brake light was always on. When I got home, I checked it out and when I engage either the hand or foot brake my brake light does not change. However it looks like only one filament in glowing. So I don't think that my brake light is always on, I think it is not turning on. Any suggestions as to what the ailment might be and how to correct it? Thanks. Oh yeah, I ride a 2007 Street bob. Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Have you recently done anything with the bars that included moving the front brake assembly. If so then your probably have a broken front brake light switch. If not then:
First, Check that the fuse is good. Visually inspect it, then check with an Ohm meter. Next, check the bulb and make sure that both filaments work. If the bulb is good, check the socket, and ensure that the connectors are clean, and that they both have voltage going to them. If you have power to the brake light socket, and it switches on and off then the bulb is bad.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM
sval
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I haven't done anything with the brake assembly. I will start by checking the fuse when I get home. Thanks again for your advice.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd check the bulb if only 1 filiment is on and there are two.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM
sval
6th Gear

I checked the bulb and it was good. I put it back in and now both filaments were working but they both remained working whether the brake levers were engaged or not. I disconnected the rear stop light switch and the brake light works properly as long as I pull on the front break lever. Since I use my front brake all the time I'm using it like that until the part comes in. Thanks for your suggestions.