Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2006 FXDBI with issue please help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM
03geetee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 FXDBI with issue please help...

06 FXDBI purchased used last Dec and have riden about 1000 miles since then with 0 issues what so ever. 2 weeks ago tomorrow I was riding the bike home from a 50-60 mile round trip cruise to down town Chicago when the bike starting doing this...

-While riding it would intermittenly choke under throttle (miss like some one tapped the brake quickly) then continue running fine. Also occasionally it would surge forward right after doing this.

-No codes were ever tripped, no check engine lights ever came on, could never predict when it would happen. Keep in mind bike has been flawless on a couple rides that were 3+ hours and over 100 miles each way.

-Checked all the connections to battery, fuse box, grounds ect ect ect.

So I finally take it to the dealer and they quickly find a broken ring terminal that is for the ground. Fix the connection and the bike is apparently fixed. I leave the dealership saying that makes perfect sense and what a cheap fix only to break down less than a mile away. Bike will barely run and anything above idle, you can limp it in any gear you want as long as you dont rev to much or to quickly. I dont have a tach so I am guessing less then 1800rpm, or the bike coughs, spits chokes and will die if you dont clutch in and play with the throttle.

It gets better when you apply throttle when all this happens the lights on the bike get dimmer instead of brighter, and anything electrical on the bike is not getting power like it should. I can hear the fuel pump going haywire, and I can see anything lighted that has power dimming and surging like crazy.

So again back the dealer who call me a few days later and say the bike was riden 30 mile without incident. I am excited that it is fixed, however they cannot tell me what they did to fix it because they really didnt narrow it down to one thing. I pick up the bike ride it less than 2 miles to the gas station, stop the bike, fill it up and within 30 secs of leaving bike is doing the same thing again.

Again not a single code.

I am at a loss for words and am missing one of the biggest rides tomorrow this season because of it.

Please help.

JTR

Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your PMs.