Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Brake light blowing fuses 2007 Street Glide need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake light blowing fuses 2007 Street Glide need help

This is happening to a friend’s bike running in the driveway not moving the brake light will work all day long take it for a short ride and the fuse blows 15A. So we unhooked the rear tail light and brake light harness after the fuse box to see if there is a dead short back there the fuse still blows so rear harness should be good. 2. With the rear harness still unhooked we rode the bike only using the front brake fuse blows next we rode bike only using rear brake fuse still blows so the brake switches should be good. 3. Next we removed the brake light relay to see if it was causing the problem fuse still blows I know there is a dead short but cant find it has this happened to anyone else here if so how did you fix it.

Last edited by fffffish; 07-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM
thrapy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the wire that runs to fender tip light. Sometimes it will come loose from fender and rub tire causing a bare spot in wire and you will get a short. I just had to fix this problem with front light this week. On last trip to sturgis friend had this wire problem causing no brake/turn signal lights and blowing fuses..Good Luck

Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those were the first wires we checked I hate electrical problems seems like they are the hardest thing on abike to find and fix Thanks.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Same issue on 2013 RGC

I am having the same issue on my 13 RGC. Its the accessory fuse that powers the brake light, signals and cruise. Cant figure it out. My dealer cant either. I also need ideas on fix. I had put LEDs in the rear without load equalizer, they flashed fast. about 2 weeks after installing them is when I started having issues. I put the stock bulbs back in hoping it was a fix. No such luck. Do you think maybe the flasher relay may be going causing the fuse to pop?

Stone

Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yea a comom place is under the fender, like thrapy said.
Ok I think this is how you check for a ground short, Make up a jumper with a bulb in the middle.
Plug the ends in where the fuse is.
Pull the rear turn signal bulb.
If the light comes on when the brake is on then you have a short.
Use a bungee cord wrapped around the front brake to keep it on.
Then you go around and wiggle wires until the light goes out, then you have found where your ground is.
Does that make since?
I do not believe this will work if the bike has a brake relay, are you sure it has one?
edit, Humm, fuse is for the acc lights, cruse, anyone want to help me here?
You might have to isolate that circuit for this to work.
Are you sure there is a brake relay, if so and it blows while removed then the ground is between the relay and the switches.
Have you had your handle bar controls off lately, my bet would be in the handle bars/brake switch area.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 07-28-2013 at 07:02 AM.