Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thunder-Max

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thunder-Max

Just ordered a Thunder-Max W/Autotune yesterday, and they said it would be 10 days before they could ship. Pete, Zippers support guy, said they are flying off the shelves. Has anyonehere installed one of these tuners onan '07' Heritage Softail Classic? The ThunderMax website pics show the TM sitting nicely in the stock ECM tray. Just wondering how the clearance is between the seat and the TM.

DJK

Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 AM
kmdmb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder-Max

Just installed one in my 07 Heritage. Fit's nice. Haven't put the seat back on, but can't see it being a problem. Waiting for the fatcat so haven't started it up yet. I pulled the battery in order to get the wires where I wanted them, but there are other options. Have to see what looks good to you.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
djkolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: kmdmb

Just installed one in my 07 Heritage. Fit's nice. Haven't put the seat back on, but can't see it being a problem. Waiting for the fatcat so haven't started it up yet. I pulled the battery in order to get the wires where I wanted them, but there are other options. Have to see what looks good to you.

Thanks kmdmb. I would also like to know if you ran into any problems removing the narrow band O2 sensors from your bike. I just tried to loosen the front sensor on my bike, and couldn't get it to budge. The bike is brand new with only 20 miles on it, and I'm afraid to really crank down on the socket, for fear I will crack the cylinder head. Did you remove your pipes, or did you leave them on, when you took off the stock sensors? Also, I bought a shortoffset O2 sensor socket for the rear pipe, and I just can'tslip the socket on, due to the clearance between the rear cylinder and the socket. Any help out there from any of you who have done this mod, would be greatly appreciated.

DJK

Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
kmdmb
Intermediate

I was replacing the pipes at the same time, so I never even tried to remove the sensors. Just left them in the pipes when I removed them.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
fatdave
Advanced

ORIGINAL: djkolp

Thanks kmdmb. I would also like to know if you ran into any problems removing the narrow band O2 sensors from your bike. I just tried to loosen the front sensor on my bike, and couldn't get it to budge. The bike is brand new with only 20 miles on it, and I'm afraid to really crank down on the socket, for fear I will crack the cylinder head. Did you remove your pipes, or did you leave them on, when you took off the stock sensors? Also, I bought a shortoffset O2 sensor socket for the rear pipe, and I just can'tslip the socket on, due to the clearance between the rear cylinder and the socket. Any help out there from any of you who have done this mod, would be greatly appreciated.

DJK
I helped a friend do his. We had to take the pipes off the bike. Put them in a vise and heatthe 02 sensorswith a propane torch to get them out. The stock sensors were junk when finished. What a pain in the A$$.

If they don't break loose easy. I'd take the pipes off the bike before really cranking down on them.

If all else fails use heat and a 24 inch pipe wrench like we did.

I can'tbelieve all the $hit we went thru for something as simple as this.

Also had to install the rear O2 sensor in the pipe before putting it back on the bike.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
djkolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: fatdave

ORIGINAL: djkolp

DJK
I helped a friend do his. We had to take the pipes off the bike. Put them in a vise and heatthe 02 sensorswith a propane torch to get them out. The stock sensors were junk when finished. What a pain in the A$$.

If they don't break loose easy. I'd take the pipes off the bike before really cranking down on them.

If all else fails use heat and a 24 inch pipe wrench like we did.

I can'tbelieve all the $hit we went thru for something as simple as this.

Also had to install the rear O2 sensor in the pipe before putting it back on the bike.
Thanks for the info. Yea, I figured if the sensors didn't break free easily, I'd end up taking the pipes off. A cracked cylinder would be no fun. While the're off, I'll slap on the rear O2 sensor, that should eliminate the clearance problem. I would have thought that on a brand new bike they would come off rather easy. I guessed wrong. Thanks again.

DJK

Old 03-04-2007, 11:50 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget the anti seize on the new o2 sensors Sounds like it might have been close to lunch time and they left it off of your stockers I've heard of it happening [:@]

Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Southern Yankee
Stage II

Good luck to guys ordering the Thundermax. Started to install mine today and the map they pre-installed is way off. Been trying different combos of there data base all day and can't seem to find a good map...getting discouraged. Glad to remember they have a 30 Day money back. Not bad mouthing. Just frustrated. I called tech support at 4:30, they close at 5:00. Slightly helpfull, slightly in a hurry to go home at 5:00. Gave me enough info to get me more frustated. If anybody has any map ideas I'm willing to listen.

06 HD Streetglide
95"
Ported/Polished Heads
211 Cams
8 degree injectors
Straight pipe exhaust[>:][&o]

Theyonly have two possible maps..neither have the headwork or 8 degree injectors.

End of a long afternoon. I'm thinking PClll next week.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I took the stock sensors off the pipes when I replaced the pipes. The sensors came right out with a ratchet and socket, no undue torque needed. Mine must have had anti seize from the factory.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

Hey Southern Yankee,
I've heard nothing but good thing's about the Thundermax, hang in there. Also, Zipper's customer service's is top notch, give them a chance. I was surprised to see your running straight pipe's, not the easiest tune but I'm sure you know that. I'll share alittle experaince I just went thru with straight pipe's on my FatBoy. I'm running Yaffee X-pipes with a S&S super E and was havin a real bi-ch getting that imformous flat spot off idle out. I kept running into this article about these "specail Baffle's". Big City Thunder baffle's, I said what the heck, I ordered them and when they hit my door I took a look at them and thought to myself, what kinda snake oil are these guy's trying to sell me. Well I'll tell you what, I installed them and was totally blown away, bike had no more flat spot and ran like it was meant to. I'sd highly suggest giving them a call, here is there web address(www.bigcitythunder.com) . It might just make one heck of a difference, did for me. Later, Putt

Quick Reply: Thunder-Max