Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thunder-Max

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Thunder-Max

I just installed one last week because I was having problems with SERT and now the Thundermax is showing a different set of problems. I do believe my issues are throttle body / fuel injection related and not tuner related. The guys at Thundermax worked on my bike for four hours free of charge and found the major problem which was a loose throttle position sensor set screw. The bike is running much better but I still have a low RPM surge / popping problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
mori55
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles have you put on with the auto tune? Mine popped for a couple of on off cycles, also the two injector wires coming out of the module are different lengths make sur the shorter one goes to the rear cylinder. I had mine backward and they made it pop and run a little rough.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 AM
mori55
Tourer

I know this may sound stupid but does it say closed loop in the blue banner on tne top of your screen? I had to check off closed loop on mine before it said that.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: mori55

How many miles have you put on with the auto tune? Mine popped for a couple of on off cycles, also the two injector wires coming out of the module are different lengths make sur the shorter one goes to the rear cylinder. I had mine backward and they made it pop and run a little rough.
50 miles since the install. My azz is still hurting from my accident, so riding time is very limited. The installation on the Heritage Classic makes it impossible to confuse the front and rear cylinders. In fact, the wire for the front O2 sensor could have been a foot longer, it's a real stretch to get the two to connectalong the lower frame railwithout straining the wire at the sensor.

DJK

Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
mori55
Tourer

The wires coming out of the module before the extension plugs are about 2 or 3 inches different. I know mine were easy to mix up. I have a deluxe so it's about the same. I ran my front cyl. wire down the right side of the tank right above the throttle body and heads.
Fifty miles isn't anything , remember it's the on-off cyles were it learns, with 50 some miles mine was popping on decel every now and then, of course i don't know how bad your is.
If everything is hooked up and adjusted right i would give a good weekend of riding . Ifd it doesn'tseem to get a little better every time you ride it then somthings wrong.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any updates on this? How did your Tmax work after more miles?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
mori55
Tourer

Ihave at least 1000 miles on mine and it runs great.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

I have installed over 10 of these things, and I can tell you this, if you paid anywhere close to 9 bills you paid way to much, we havent had a single issue that wasnt resolved by simply riding the bike, the more cycles the faster the tune, the better it gets. I had 40 of them in stock and have like 10 left, and have had zero returns.....so I am sold. Hang in there, it will get better.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

+

Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 AM
RjCapp
Road Master

+