Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thunder-Max

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:12 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Thunder-Max

ORIGINAL: Southern Yankee

Good luck to guys ordering the Thundermax. Started to install mine today and the map they pre-installed is way off. Been trying different combos of there data base all day and can't seem to find a good map...getting discouraged. Glad to remember they have a 30 Day money back. Not bad mouthing. Just frustrated. I called tech support at 4:30, they close at 5:00. Slightly helpfull, slightly in a hurry to go home at 5:00. Gave me enough info to get me more frustated. If anybody has any map ideas I'm willing to listen.

06 HD Streetglide
95"
Ported/Polished Heads
211 Cams
8 degree injectors
Straight pipe exhaust[>:][&o]

Theyonly have two possible maps..neither have the headwork or 8 degree injectors.

End of a long afternoon. I'm thinking PClll next week.
I installed the ThunderMax W/Autotune 2 days ago. Before I loaded the software, I called Randy at Zippers, and asked him if they loaded a custom map on the TM unit be before they shipped it. He said that they were way behind in shipping, due to the large demand, and that they were shipping all the units out with only the TEST map loaded. Itoo wasdisappointed in the small map selection in their database, but was told that the Autotune feature would adjust a map as long as the engine type, injectors, pipes, and mufflersare close to what you have on your bike. I have a brand new'07' FLSTC with only 50 miles on the speedometer. I have Rush mufflers w/1.75" baffles, and a K&N 3909A.C. I have put only 20 miles on the bike since installing the ThunderMax,but I'm experiencing popping on decel about 50% of the time. Called Zippers, and was told to increase the restriction in the rear muffler, and this would help. WTF? $900.00 for a tuner and they tell me to plug up the rear muffler! I guess I need to talk totheir tuning guru, and not just ageneric support guy.I had a PowerCommander on an identical '07' FLSTC, with the same A.C. and Rush mufflers, and it never popped once! I will say that the customer support people at Zippers have been excellent in responding to my calls, and seem very sincere when I speak with them. I think that they are just overwhelmedright nowwith the large amount of orders and tech calls they are receiving.I went with the ThunderMax on the new bike because it replaced the factory ECM. This made the installation on the Softail a breeze, although I wish they would have made thewire on the front O2 sensor a bit longer. I'm sure I'll get the popping on decel figured out, but right now I am a bit disappointed in the unit.

DJK

Old 03-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

DJ,tryloading a more closely matchedbase map into the EFI Controllerandthenride the bikefor several cycles. Every time the ignition is shutoff and then turned back on is a cycle.If you ride for about 10-20 miles, pull over, shut the bike down, then restart it and go ride for another 10-20 miles. Repeat this several times.Your cycles should be representative of your normal riding routine. For example, you wouldn't want to ride for 10-20 miles in stop and go traffic. Turning off the ignitionallows the EFI controller to make the learning adjustments from the auto tuner.I'm definitely no expert, but this is the method I learned from talking with the Zippers guys and it worked for me. Definitely change the base map to one that is closer to your bike's setup. Once you get the TMdialed in, you'll love it.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Southern Yankee
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, Thanks for the input. I have the weekend to try to dial it in. The straight pipes are primarily because we have put alot of custom features on the bike and try to show it probably more than ride. Not a trailer queen, but we don't get a chance to ride as much as we would like, so I wrench on goodies for it. I am new to this forum and will get some personal info and pics posted soon as I can. On this issue it might be the programmer and not the program. If I can't get it by Monday I'll try tech one more time and let them walk me through. This set-up also has the Zippers nitrous assist system so I really would rather get it up and going instead of taking all this off, it is just hard to swallow when you've dropped a $1200.00 expecting it to be ready to go and now I've spent half a day and got nowhere. I'mgood with a wrench, but computers FI and carbs get into me into unchartered waters. It's sites like this that help pick up where the tech lines leave off.

Thanks again...

Old 03-10-2007, 02:09 PM
djkolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Plow64

DJ,tryloading a more closely matchedbase map into the EFI Controllerandthenride the bikefor several cycles. Every time the ignition is shutoff and then turned back on is a cycle.If you ride for about 10-20 miles, pull over, shut the bike down, then restart it and go ride for another 10-20 miles. Repeat this several times.Your cycles should be representative of your normal riding routine. For example, you wouldn't want to ride for 10-20 miles in stop and go traffic. Turning off the ignitionallows the EFI controller to make the learning adjustments from the auto tuner.I'm definitely no expert, but this is the method I learned from talking with the Zippers guys and it worked for me. Definitely change the base map to one that is closer to your bike's setup. Once you get the TMdialed in, you'll love it.
Plow64, Map #352 is the closest thing to my bike. I have only 2 maps to choose from. One with stock mufflers, and the other with "KW HP+ mufflers". Zippers told me that the KW is the closest to the Rush slip-ons. I'm not too worried about the performance of the TM just yet, as I need to put more miles on the bike, and allow the "learning" portion of the autotune to kick in. I'll definitely try the cycle method that you described above. The bike starts rightup and idles just fine, and the performance is not bad. It's just thepopping on decelthat's annoying. Thanks again.

DJK

Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Enlighten me please, I thought the Thundermax was "plug and Play".............no matter what the configuration.........no?

Old 03-10-2007, 09:56 PM
djkolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

Enlighten me please, I thought the Thundermax was "plug and Play".............no matter what the configuration.........no?

The unit requires a "base map" to be loaded into the ThunderMax ECM. The map contains information regarding your motorcycle's make, engine type, piston, cam, air cleaner, exhaust pipe, muffler. The engine type, air cleaner, exhaust/muffler type are the three most important pieces of info the TM needs, tobe able to autotune your bike. Once the base map is loaded into the TM, you need to initialize the unit by cycling the ignition on & off three times, waiting 30 seconds between each cycle. You then start the bike twice, letting it idle 10 seconds between starts. Then you fine tune the idle settingsusing a laptop computer, connected via a serial cable to the TM's ECM. It's not a very complicated process, and the only downside is that there aren't many base maps to choose from. But then the tech support guy at Zippers told me that the unit will autotune your bike to 90% with any map, and95% with a map close to your bike's configuration, soI guess a huge map data base is not necessary.He also said that updated mapsare developed continually.Once you finish all of the items mentioned, the unit is now ready to autotune your bike, continually adjusting the A/F ratio in 256 rpm increments to a default value of 13. Of course, the unit is also capable of being adjusted manually. The ThunderMax is no more plug and play thanmy PowerCommander. The only problem I'm having with the TM so far, is the constant popping on decel. The performance I'm getting from the unit is great.

DJK

Old 03-10-2007, 10:50 PM
mori55
Tourer

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong but the map doesnt even need to be that close, it just will take longer for it to tune itself.
I know in my software there are about 300 different maps i think that's more than a few, plus you can make your own map. I did that with mine, made it from their list of different components . if you don't see exactly what you have pick whats close.
You need to go through the software and find these things, it's a little bit of a pain until figure it out.
Also go to the vtwin forums and go to the EFI maps pagethere they have a link with a whole lot of info on it.
I don't want to bust your ***** but you guys are the first people i have heard complain about it.
It will takeat least a few hundred miles to auto tune, you have to be patient. Only thing i know , it's the best money i have ever spent on my bike.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:59 PM
mori55
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Southern Yankee

Guys, Thanks for the input. I have the weekend to try to dial it in. The straight pipes are primarily because we have put a lot of custom features on the bike and try to show it probably more than ride. Not a trailer queen, but we don't get a chance to ride as much as we would like, so I wrench on goodies for it. I am new to this forum and will get some personal info and pics posted soon as I can. On this issue it might be the programmer and not the program. If I can't get it by Monday I'll try tech one more time and let them walk me through. This set-up also has the Zippers nitrous assist system so I really would rather get it up and going instead of taking all this off, it is just hard to swallow when you've dropped a $1200.00 expecting it to be ready to go and now I've spent half a day and got nowhere. I'mgood with a wrench, but computers FI and carbs get into me into unchartered waters. It's sites like this that help pick up where the tech lines leave off.
It's very important you do the intial starting sequence first.
Thanks again...
In your software you ll find you can make your own maps up, for instance i have bigboyz heads but they didn't have that in the list so used SE heads , i have a 98 kit , they didn't have tha so i used the 95 se, see what I'm getting at? It only has to be somewhat close it's not a big deal if it's off.
Make sure you set the IAC up correctly. Then just ride it and let it tune itself, unless you screwed something up every time you ride it , it will get better.
Once the base map is loaded into the TM, you need to initialize the unit by cycling the ignition on & off three times, waiting 30 seconds between each cycle. You then start the bike twice, letting it idle 10 seconds between starts. Then you fine tune the idle settingsusing a laptop computer, connected via a serial cable to the TM's ECM.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: mori55

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong but the map doesnt even need to be that close, it just will take longer for it to tune itself.
I know in my software there are about 300 different maps i think that's more than a few, plus you can make your own map. I did that with mine, made it from their list of different components . if you don't see exactly what you have pick whats close.
You need to go through the software and find these things, it's a little bit of a pain until figure it out.
Also go to the vtwin forums and go to the EFI maps pagethere they have a link with a whole lot of info on it.
I don't want to bust your ***** but you guys are the first people i have heard complain about it.
It will takeat least a few hundred miles to auto tune, you have to be patient. Only thing i know , it's the best money i have ever spent on my bike.
This was the impression I got when reading feedback about the system.

Maybe more time riding the bike for these guys is what they need.

Thanks djkolp for your explanation of how the TM is to be setup.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 AM
djkolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mori55

Yes, there are 244 maps in the current data base. When I pick "Harley Davidson", "96ci TwinCam", "HD TC 07 stock","Stock Flat Top", "Stock Cam", "Stock HD FL HD Pipe", "Stock HD TC 06-07 25 inj", I'm left with 4 maps to choose from, and it's either "High Flow 2.75" Deep", "KW HP+ Mufflers", or"straight stock pipes" and "stock air cleaners".I am well aware that the mapdoesn't have to be anexact match.You cannot, I repeat, cannot take a base map and modify it by using the drop down menu on the base map name encoding page. You can make all the custom selections you want from the drop down menu, but try and load that modified map. It will say "File Not Found"and will not accept it. You must use one of Zippers base maps that are in the data base, and load that into the ECM.I have read the expanded manual twice, and I have done as much as I can, without seeking out a Dyno Tuner. As far as using a map from another forum, tweaked by someone who may or may not know what the're doing? I'll pass. Last point, when I asked the tech guy at Zippers how long it would take for the TM to tune my bike, he said "About 3 minutes. Just check out our video on the website, and see for yourself." I expect it will take longer than that, I just hope it happens before the 30 day return date. I'm glad you are happy with the ThunderMax. I'm sure once I get the bugs figured out, I will too.

DJK

Quick Reply: Thunder-Max