Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM
bone57
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starting problem

Originally posted this under touring.
Brand new 2013 SG purchased 4-4-13. When I first picked it up, it quit on me on the way home. Had to have it towed home, came and got it the next morning and replaced everything in the fuel tank. They don't know to this day what exactly was wrong just wasn't getting the correct fuel pressure. It then started having this intermittent starting problem. Turn the ignition switch, wait for it to go through it's diagnostics, hit the button and nothing but a small clicking sound. was nice enough to give me my 1000 mile service free for my initial problem. Told them about the starting issue, they could not find anything and of course it wouldn't do it for them. That was around the first of this month. It has done the non starting problem 3 times since. Always after work after it sat for 10 hrs covered up. The last two time I found that holding the button down and rotating the switch ever so slightly it makes contact and fires up. To me this says the problem is in the switch. Talked to Harley yesterday, unless it will do this for them they won't/can't do anything to help. They want me to leave it with them for a period of time, maybe one of there techs riding it home or so to see if it will do it for them. Don't care for the idea of having somebody riding it. I don't give a damn who they are. Besides I doubt they could get it to do it. I asked them does it need to fail me and leave me stranded somewhere in order for them to fix it. Their reply was, "well we hope it doesn't do that". Leaving this Monday for a 1000 mile rode trip into the White Mountains of AZ. I do like this bike, handles much better than my Roadstar .......just wish I could resolve this problem.

Last edited by bone57; 06-30-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

my dyna does something like that every so often and it is the battery bolt loosening. It still feels snug but it has to be real tight. Check that and see if it helps. If not check your starter connections and then the connections to the switch in the handlebar controls

Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks having a ride you can't depend on, it can also get expensive if you're stranded. They've put the ball in your court with the offer of extended road tests. Was anything really done to determine the problem or were u fobbed off? When the problem does recur, no matter where u r, call them to report it. Sounds like your ride might have been assembled on a monday or a friday.