Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2002 Sporty Speedo/Odo dead after new bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Sporty Speedo/Odo dead after new bars

The speedo doesn't light up and the odometer and speedometer register nothing. The top 15 amp fuse keeps blowing as soon as the ignition key is turned on.

The only thing I can think would be a POSSIBLE pinched wire coming from the right or left hand control collar. (This is very possible because the wiring dimples on the bars did not match where I had to locate the collars.)

I've checked the wire diagrams in the service manual but they are confusing to me. Perhaps there is someone who knows the '02 XL883 enough to tell me if a pinched wire on the handlebar could cause the fuse that handles the speedometer to blow. They don't appear to connect, at least on the visible part of the wires at the front end of the bike. There are no other symptoms except I had to replace the front left turn signal bulb because the constant filament blew once. The replacement bulb has been fine.

My next step will be to remove the collars again and check visually to see any pinched wires, then do my best to repair them. I'll post the results.

Last edited by mcpastor; 06-28-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 PM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update - My son got a mile from home and the whole bike cut out and wouldn't start or light, so I removed the throttle side hand controls, cut the outer black vinyl wire cover and discovered the insulation on 3 of the wires was cut through by the lower bolt that holds on the hand control collar. This happened on the left controls too. I got some liquid electrical tape from the hardware store and fixed the insulation on all the wires. I repaired the black vinyl wire cover with electrical tape and replaced the two fuses that blew. Back in business electrically. Now a friend is going to machine a slot on the bottom of the bars, right and left, to create a recess for the wires.

Last edited by mcpastor; 06-30-2013 at 06:33 PM.